Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Dean

Dean - Feb 5, 2006 10:24 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

As your first page I salute your effort and was surprised to see this one go up. I remember my visit vividly as it was done the day after I broke my hand at the 12K mark on Mt. Whitney's MR route. I posted a trip report on my visit.

JasonH

JasonH - Feb 5, 2006 9:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you Dean for you comment. That was really cool how you did Mount Whitney one day and Carpenter Hill the next. My buddy and I were going to do Whitney last summer but we couldn't get the permits. What I want to do now is go to Badwater in Death Valley one day and try and get Whitney the next. I want to also thank you for you photos. What really amazes me is how your were able to climb Carpenter Hill with a broken finger.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Feb 5, 2006 2:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Make sure to finish this page, since you added photos, but you still say photos are coming soon.



Doesn't seem like much of a hill to me, but it is a county highpoint and a point of interest. I have the distinction of putting up flatter pages (albeit state highpoints), so I have no complaints.

JasonH

JasonH - Feb 5, 2006 8:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you hgrapid for your comment. It looks like you caught me in the midddle of adding pictures. But I got to say the only way I can finish this page is if they close it off to the public or if I move out of the area. But if you think Carpenter Hill is exciting just wait. I have plans to conquer Mt. Davidson this summer. This monster is the San Francisco county hightpoint. And the summit is 927 feet above sea level.

John Climber

John Climber - Feb 5, 2006 4:13 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Jason,

Welcome to SP. Please, add some photos.

I am, in principle, against such hilly places on SP unless that they worth the climb or they have any kind of side-interest. You said so (good views),...but I cannot see your photos...yet. I trust you when you decided to add Carpenter Hill to SP. It should be an interesting place.



Add images and I will upgrade my vote.

JasonH

JasonH - Feb 5, 2006 8:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you John for your comment. I agree with you that Carpenter Hill is not much of a climb. But it does have some significance: since I reside in and am in love with Sacramento, Carpenter Hill has a special place in my heart. Plus it is the high point of Sacramento county and people like me get a kick out of climbing county summits. I have put some pictures on the page and I have plans for more trips and pictures.

McCannster

McCannster - Feb 5, 2006 4:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Not bad, good to be on SP because of its County HP status. I have some pics I'll upload soon.

JasonH

JasonH - Feb 5, 2006 8:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for the comment. I really enjoyed the photos too.

JasonH

JasonH - Feb 5, 2006 9:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you keema for your comment. The real challege would be trying to make that climb after eatting Easter dinner instead of before.

keema

keema - Feb 6, 2006 9:35 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

You are right Jason, Carpenter Hill after Easter dinner would have been more of a challenge. :-P Good luck on tagging your county highpoints. You might give Mount Saint Helena a try and then tag Mount Vaca on the way back home. That's what I did. Also be careful with getting to Mount Davidson. There is a left off El Camino Real that is mentioned in Suttle's book that can't be made. Also one of the right turns is poorly marked, That made for more of an adventure for me.

2skinners - Feb 8, 2006 2:55 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Pretty good page albeit, for a small hill. But I do have a page for a 448 foot hill located in a trailer park (Delaware's high point). So don't let to many people give you flak for it. Good page!!

-2skinners-

JasonH

JasonH - Feb 8, 2006 3:21 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you 2skinners for your comment. I try not to let people give me flak for the lowliness of my high point because its a nasty job and someone has to do it.

JasonH

JasonH - Feb 8, 2006 3:22 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you Ryan for your vote.

SFMountaineer

SFMountaineer - Apr 19, 2010 1:39 am - Hasn't voted

Locked

The metal gate is currently locked with about 8 padlocks. Someone no longer wants anyone to go up there

JasonH

JasonH - Apr 21, 2010 3:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Locked

Yep, I made through the gate just the one time. I've been up there 3 or 4 times since and the gate has always been locked up. It's a bummer.

msartin23

msartin23 - Feb 12, 2016 9:32 am - Hasn't voted

Access update

So I've been twice recently and the gate was locked both times, but if you don't want to jump the fence, there's another way. When you exit on E.Bidwell, turn right on Iron Point, left on Serpa,right on Catterline and left on Torburry.Park on the street and start hiking up towards the antennas and you'll find multiple "goat paths" to the top. As for difficulty, I did it on my lunch break, go on a clear day for great views.

Moonknightca

Moonknightca - Feb 26, 2017 3:22 am - Hasn't voted

Great Views after a quick hop

I went up to the peak today. Had to jump the fence but nobody seemed to mind. I'm 49 and 235 pounds and hopping it was doable, but still took a little doing. It consists of intermittent brick pillars with metal bar fence between them. The top is smooth and not pointed so you can hop up, slide across, and jump over. There are great views into the valley; Folsom Lake is nearby and you can see the Sacramento city skyline in the distance. The post is accurate and helpful. Once you get to the top there's another fence around the antennas but the benchmark and apparent actual High Point of the hill are outside of that second fence. Enjoy!

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Return to 'Carpenter Hill' main page