Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.41295°N / 110.30475°W
Additional Information County: Cochise
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9237 ft / 2815 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Carr PeakCarr Peak

At 9,237 feet, Carr Peak is the second highest peak in the Huachuca Mountains of southeast Arizona. Carr Peak is easily recognizable as the prominent double-humped mountain due south of Sierra Vista (the hump on the left is the summit). Carr Peak is located in the Miller Peak Wilderness of Coronado National Forest. From the north, Carr is accessible from either Old Sawmill Springs trail or the Carr Peak trail.

From Old Sawmill Spring trailhead, it's about 3 miles one-way to the top. Elevation gain is a little over 2000 feet. Total elevation gain from Carr Peak trailhead is about 1800 feet. Old Sawmill Spring trail joins up with the Carr Peak trail after about 1 mile. The trail switchbacks through manzanitas and shrubby plants, which eventually give way to aspen and evergreens.  

Burnt Trees

Wildfires burned this area in 1977 and 1991, and there are a lot of burned trees still standing as a reminder of the fires. However, the area has rebounded quite nicely, with plenty of plant life reclaiming the slopes.  

Wildflowers



The trail continues to climb up towards Carr Peak, and after awhile the trail curves around the east side of the mountain, bringing Miller Peak into view. The trail continues around to the south side of Carr Peak and heads west. Just a little further and on the right is the junction for Carr Peak Spur. From here it's a straightforward 1/3 mile hike to the summit. From the summit, you have great views of Sierra Vista and Ft Huachuca to the north, the Mule Mountains to the east, Sierra San Jose to the southeast, Miller Peak to the south, and if the air is clear enough, Baboquivari Peak way off to the west.

Getting There

From the intersection of Fry Boulevard and AZ Highway 92 in Sierra Vista, go south on Hwy 92 for about 7 miles to Carr Canyon Road (FR 368). Look for the Mesquite Tree Restaurant on the right hand side. Turn right here. The road is paved for about a mile before turning to dirt. It's a little rough, but easily passable for passenger cars. After about 6.5 miles, you arrive at the Old Sawmill Spring Trailhead parking lot on the left, across from the Reef Townsite Campground. You can start here, or continue for another half mile to the Carr Peak trailhead, near Ramsey Vista Campground.

Red Tape

Carr Peak is located in the Miller Peak Wilderness Area of Coronado National Forest. There has been smuggling and illegal immigration activity in the area (there is a sign warning you of this as you drive up Carr Canyon Road).

Sierra Vista Ranger District
4070 South Avenida Saracino
Hereford, AZ 85615
(520) 378-0311

Camping

Camping is available at Reef Townsite Campground and Ramsey Vista Campground. Fee is $15 per night. Check with Coronado National Forest for more information.

External Links

Carr Peak Trail
Coronado National Forest
Miller Peak Wilderness Area
Hike Arizona Carr Peak Page