Castle Crags Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
k2link

k2link - Sep 21, 2008 6:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Other camping

If the main family campground isn't your cup of tea, there are a couple of "environmental" sites available. Follow Castle Creek Road into the park, and instead of turning right into the campground hang toward the left and continue on Castle Creek Road (about a mile) until you see a flume on the right hand side, with three campsites behind it. Each site has a picnic table and food box, and a poorly maintained vault toilet. When I was last there in 2005, I believe it was $5 a night per site. This site is worth looking for... it's much quieter and seems miles away from the front of the park.

Diggler

Diggler - Sep 22, 2008 5:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Other camping

Thanks! Added the information to the page.

Vinny

Vinny - Jun 13, 2012 5:56 pm - Hasn't voted

park is now 'closed' unmaintained

access is from Soap creek ext (one exit north on I-5) and hike adds an hour or so to the approach.
guide book is very superficial- lots to do here and the map in the guidebook bites.
we way overshot Hubris :)
Pity Ca is cutting back here but adds to wild flavour.

Shasta

Shasta - Mar 16, 2013 2:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: park is now 'closed' unmaintained

Soap Creek? Isn't it Soda Creek? I'm almost 100% on this one

Diggler

Diggler - Mar 16, 2013 3:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: park is now 'closed' unmaintained

Good catch- you're right. Fixed- thanks!

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Oct 14, 2014 7:56 pm - Hasn't voted

The Park is now open

I don't know when it reopened but the park is now open. I was just there on Sunday and though I didn't enter the park the main gate is open. The website shows a nightly fee of $15 for the primitive campsites and $30 for the regular one. There is also a Hike and Bike site for $5. I hiked in from the Soda Creek PCT TH on I-5.

Diggler

Diggler - Oct 15, 2014 1:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The Park is now open

Thanks! Noted.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Castle Crags' main page