Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 22.2999°S / 42.5586°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Big Wall
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5889 ft / 1795 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The mountains called Catarinas are localized in the urban area of Nova Friburgo town, Rio de Janeiro’s countryside. Some of them have a rounded form and rocks on the top. From the top is possible to see the city and, seems like you are over the houses in the surroundings. The people know this mountain because the trail crossing the mountains is a motocross trail, and few people climb it for hiking.
There are 3 main mountains in Catarinas Group :
Catarina Pai ( Father ) : 1795 mts
Catarina Mãe ( Mother ) : 1680 mts
Catarina Filha ( Daughter ) : 1600 mts
There are another mountains of Catarina Group, how Chapéu da Bruxa, Pedra do Elefante and Pedra do Imperador. All of them very close from Catarinas Pai, Mãe and Filha.
Catarinas Group from Caledônia.Catarinas Group from the top of Caledônia

Getting There

The biggest city near Catarinas Group is Rio de Janeiro ( 140 km ). Take the road to Nova Friburgo ( RJ-116 - Rota 116 ) and arriving there, turn to the left after the first square taking the “Via Expressa” ( Express Highway ) to Olaria District. Turn to right to Vale dos Pinheiros street and drive till the end of this way. The trailhead is at the right side of the entrance of the last joint ownership. Walk on the principal trail ,do not taking sideways, because you can get lost. The trails are very clear and don’t have plates of indication. This way is to Catarina Mãe and, from there, the trails to Pai and Filha is clear and demarcated, ever by the crests.

The trails are short and nothing more than 1 hour to reach the top of any mountain of this group.
Express HighwayExpress Highway

Red Tape

There aren’t any fees to rise Catarinas Group; There are a parking car in the trailhead, beside the last joint ownership and at the Via Expressa; Use trousers ( tick infestation in the area ); Sunblocks and there aren’t water sources at the main trail. Just who know well the area, can take water out of trail.

Weather Conditions

Weather – Nova Friburgo.
The weather changes very fast in Catarinas Group beacause this mountains are inside Atlantic Forest, a very wet region of Rio de Janeiro State.

Camping

There are some great places to camp at Catarinas:

The top of Catarina Mãe;
2 good places in the trail descending Catarina Pai;