Cemetery Headstones

Cemetery Headstones

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing
`
This may not be the funniest of albums but it might still be of interest. When traveling I have the habit of visiting churches and cemeteries. Believe it or not but life seems to be a deadly occupation. Mountaineers are no exceptions; some live long lives while other comes to rest sooner than was planed. At the cemeteries in places like Grindelwald, Zermatt, Saas Fee, Pontresina, etc. you can find many headstones telling about mountain activities.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-9 of 9
pablo

pablo - Jul 17, 2006 2:37 pm - Voted 10/10

contribute ?

i've got picture of famous climber... no way to add it ?

hansw

hansw - Jul 17, 2006 5:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: contribute ?

Sorry, my mistake.
Please contribute.

pablo

pablo - Jul 20, 2006 12:03 am - Voted 10/10

Re: contribute ?

Thanks Hans. I think this album is a very good idea. It tells us another edge of the mountains, paying homage to those who loved them to the point of giving their lives.

hansw

hansw - Jul 20, 2006 9:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: contribute ?

Pablo,
To be honest I had to think twice before I created it. In addition to paying tribute to those how lost their lives in the mountains this album may tell something of the history of mountaineering.

Thanks for posting “Lionel Terray”. When I saw it I had a look in my old copy of Conquistadors of the Useless. I recall the famous Eiger rescue in 1957 when Terray made an outstanding performance carrying Corti to the summit. I once spoke to the Dutch climber Tom de Boij who also took part in the rescue. Boij said that it was he who had come up with “Conquistadors of the Useless” as a title of Terrays book.

pablo

pablo - Jul 20, 2006 12:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: contribute ?

Wao ! that's an amazing coincidence. Anyhow it's a "delicious" book, one of my favorites, showing the high level/"altitude" of its writer. A great human being and an exceptional Alpinist. Glad that you finally decided to open the page... I am sure behind the "Useless" term/concept underlies a lot of "Useful" matter that help us moving ahead !.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Jan 22, 2007 6:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Very Creative

Nice idea.

hansw

hansw - Jan 22, 2007 7:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very Creative

Thanks. It was meant to be a bit of history and I was hoping more people should contribute - like Pablo.

schmid_th

schmid_th - Mar 19, 2007 10:47 am - Voted 10/10

Thanks for creating

Since the beginning mountaineering is connected with the fate of climbers. So death is part of climbing even if many push it away.
Your album helps not to forget people who died for their passion.
Greets Thomas

hansw

hansw - Mar 19, 2007 2:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks for creating

So true...
/hans

Viewing: 1-9 of 9