Cerro Punta - Barú West Route Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-4 of 4

Storm2 - Mar 25, 2017 10:22 am - Hasn't voted

How to find trailhead

MARCH 2017 UPDATE
Thanks for writing about this route, it's much better than Boquete. However, the directions in this article are very inaccurate; the trail is nowhere near Cerro Punta. Also, you have to be in really good shape to make it in 4-5 hours. 6-7 is a safer estimate and 4 to return.
The hike starts in the town of Bambito, halfway between Cerro Punta and Volcan, and it's known as PASO ANCHO. Here are proper directions.
- If coming by bus, ask to be dropped off at PASO ANCHO (end of town going towards Cerro Punta). There is no Chinese shop, but lots of strawberry stands.
- From the little red bus stop walk back one block and take the left (Calle Baru Parque on Goggle maps).
- Walk straight for 2,5km until you reach a 4-way junction (you might be able to hitch a ride)
- Go LEFT, in 1km pass the remnants of the old ranger station (nothing but the floor left), and keep on going for another km or so.
- Turn left, off the paved road onto a 4WD track. In 2017 there were remnants of an old sign. Plenty of camping spots here, wind shelter a bit further down.
- After 1km, the 4WD track turns into a signposted path. The actual trail starts here.
- Very well maintained trail, clear of debris and marked by paint arrows. Easy to follow. A few primitive campsites along the way.
- The first part is a pleasant forest walk, which soon turns into a steep climb/scramble to a small ridge. Hop over the ridge, drop down into a gully and keep on climbing. Last primitive campsite in this section. Once forest turns into shrubs, the trail becomes a very steep, eroded staircase all the way to the top. This is the hardest part, with great views, plenty of scrambling and over 1000m elevation gain.
- At 3300m enter a narrow rocky saddle and go straight to the crater or left to the summit, marked by a tall white cross.

Dragos - Nov 19, 2021 4:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: How to find trailhead

Hi Storm,

Do you have the accurate route / trail as gps file ?

We are planning to make the western trail in February, the trail from Boquete was done by us 2 years ago.

Regards.

Dragos

SomeNumbskull

SomeNumbskull - Oct 24, 2022 9:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: How to find trailhead

I'm more interested in hitting Baru from this western route and would be interested in a GPX file too. I suppose I could also trace it using Caltopo (https://caltopo.com/m/V6LRM), but would rather see the tracks from someone who actually hiked this.

Thanks!

bobbyfm

bobbyfm - Dec 3, 2023 1:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: How to find trailhead

Hello, is there a place where you can rent a mountain equipment like tents and sleeping bags in Paso Ancho?

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Cerro Punta - Barú West Route' main page