Viewing: 1-16 of 16
John

John - Apr 23, 2002 11:40 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice additions Glenn! You've put a lot of work into this page. Thanks!

nader

nader - Apr 26, 2002 5:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good job. I am glad it was adopted by you.

mpbro

mpbro - May 19, 2002 8:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Wow!

rcorby2

rcorby2 - May 23, 2002 5:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Glen - great web site! I used this as my sole resource (besides a phone call to local Ranger) when I was in Vegas and climbed in April. Your GETTING THERE description is excellent! I am flying out tomorrow to do a two day hike on Saturday and Sunday, with a summit climb on the second day, and will post a trip report next week sometime. Thanks again for all the usefull information you have put together here!

Glenn Campbell

Glenn Campbell - Jun 20, 2002 10:26 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for your trip reports. I have incorporated some of your winter advice into the main page. -- Glenn

mdostby

mdostby - May 29, 2002 6:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very nice page.

Mike

Peak Freak

Peak Freak - Oct 1, 2002 1:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page! This is really helpful. I'm planning a trip to Vegas for business and want to do this peak while I'm there. (It's currently looking like April or May)

bigwally

bigwally - Jan 23, 2003 7:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Happily a 4-star vote for a 4-star page. Wonderful Work. THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME AND EFFORT TO ASSEMBLE AND ORGANIZE ALL OF THIS INFORMATION !!! This is truly quite a piece of work !!!!!!! Thank you

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - May 7, 2003 9:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Excellent job! Lots of detailed info.

Dean

Dean - Oct 20, 2003 12:06 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

GRRRRReat job, a truly outstanding effort.

I'm heading up Charleston (hopefully) this Saturday so your page is very helpful. This one deserves 5 stars.

Dave K - Jan 29, 2004 12:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Damn, what a great page!

PAISHO - Mar 11, 2004 3:54 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

This is a great page. How far on the horizon can be seen from the summit?

KathyW - Feb 10, 2005 12:27 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great Page with lots of good information - Charleston is on my list. I hope to do it this spring.

vanman798

vanman798 - May 23, 2005 2:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

The path to Cathedral Rock has been wiped out by an avalanche and is still under snow as of time of this writing. However, one can walk up the snow and find the path if they know where to look. It might be worth mentioning this on your page!

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Oct 9, 2016 5:03 pm - Voted 9/10

Getting there and TH camping and summit flag - US

If you are driving to the Trail Canyon TH from I-15 north of Las Vegas be prepared for some mild route finding as of October 2016. I was coming from St. George, UT, and took exit 52 to the 215 beltway. The trick comes when you try to get to Hwy 95 from this beltway. Instead of a nice neat intersection with a smooth transition, you have to exit the 215 to Skypoint Drive, then proceed generally westbound for about 1/2 mile before you see signs indicating Hwy 95. After about 4 miles on highway 95 you will see a sign for a left turn to Hwy 157 (the Kyle Canyon Road). On the return if you want to head east to I-15 just really pay attention to the signs because once again you have to zig and zag a bit between Hwy 95 and the 215 route heading almost due east. This transition may eventually be resolved, but as of 4 days ago it was very tricky.

Also, I camped in a tent near the Trail Canyon TH. I found several fairly level places near an historic site named The Old Ski Tow. This site is on the immediate south side of the road heading to Mary Falls. A sign marking this place as The Old Ski Tow sits about 100 yards south of the road. Granted, it's a 5-minute hike to the restroom but I found zero level ground any closer. There is a convenient pull off for one car bounded by large boulders., and this pull off keeps your vehicle away from passing traffic. The boulders provide a nice place to put stuff when you are loading or unloading your gear.

The American flag on the summit has been blasted by winds and a full one third of it is missing. If some good patriotic soul has another flag to take up to the summit and replace the old with the new it would be great. I did not measure the flag but if you look at the summit photos posted you will get a good approximation. Thanks.

shknbke

shknbke - Nov 13, 2023 6:04 pm - Hasn't voted

seasonal closure

Just as a heads up, the Forest Service closes the south trailhead very early in November, or at least that was the case when I tried to access it 11/12/23. The north TH was also closed because of road construction at the time.

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Charleston Peak' main page