Chiller Pillar, NEI 4

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.40607°N / 73.89318°W
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: WI4
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Chiller Pillar is a beautiful pitch of ice located around the Wilmington area. The climb is located around 2400ft elevation so it tends to be reliable even on warmer days. This area has the feel of Pitchoff Quarry without the crowds and comes highly recommended. You will find many mixed climbs available near the main flow. The main flow will provide at least 80 feet of vertical ice.

Chiller Piller Area





Getting There

The climb is located near the Whiteface Auto Road toll booth. I recommend first time visitors drive to the pond beside the toll booth where the route is clearly visible to get an idea of its location and approach.

Drive on the Whiteface Auto Road until you reach a right turn before the toll booth. Shortly after taking the turn you will see a pull off and a footpath leading right.


Park and follow the trail to the obvious cliff. Skirt right and take the path of least resistance to the top of the cliff if setting up a top rope. Many good trees are available on top.


Area from Approach




Top of the Climb


Route Description

The climb is near vertical almost right off the ground and gets steep very quickly, it will not ease up until you top out. Watch out for a lip of detached ice and mud at the very top of the climb near trees used for anchors, could detach easily.

Essential Gear

3-5 Screws
Long slings/cordage for anchors