Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.54188°N / 120.58873°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6227 ft / 1898 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

One of the highest summits on the northwestern section of the Thompson Plateau, between Kamloops and Logan Lake and about 6 miles northwest of Lac Le Jeune. Chuwhels Mountain summit sits at 6,227 ft with a prominence of 2,250 ft. It is an easy hike on old rugged roads that are seldom used. It was Spelled "Tshoo-whels Mountain" in Geological Survey Report, 1894 which was a Shuswap Indian word meaning "many ravines". It's official name Chuwhels Mountain was adopted in 1927. There was a large fire in 2006 that burned many acres. I happened to be camping on Face Lake when many parts of the area were evacuated. The views from the summit are amazing. Dress proper for high elevation weather.

Getting There

Chuwhels Mountain MapChuwhels Mountain Map
If you view this is google earth imput 50.54194-120.58889.

Drive towards Stake Lake on the Lac le Jeune Road. Turn right onto the Chuwhels Mountain FSR(sometimes called the Lodgepole Lake Road). You will be crossing Highway 5 (the Coquihalla Highway) via an underpass. This turn off can be found on your GPS at N 50 30.930 W 120 29.150. Once your on the west side of this you will pass Lodgepole Lake Recreational site and continue on a good forest service road until the 4.3 mile mark. You can park at this point and hike the next couple miles to the summit.

From this parking spot when the road forks, just follow the power line. There comes to a point when the road forks and there will be two power lines. Take the left fork up to the peak of Chuwhels. The right fork goes just a short bit up to a repeater tower on a north peak around 6,000ft.

If you are using a map, this will be very straight forward.

Images


Photos will be uploaded shortly

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
hgrapid

hgrapid - Mar 11, 2010 11:14 am - Hasn't voted

Coordinates

50.00000°N / 120.00000°E is not correct. Note that this mountain is in the western hemisphere The coordinates I have are 50°32'60.00"N and 120°34'60.00"W I am not sure how that translates into the way summitpost uploads coordinates.

beaudaddy85

beaudaddy85 - Mar 11, 2010 12:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Good Eye

Hey, thanks for catching this. It was a typo when I was putting this page together. Your correct that this is obviously a wrong coordinate. I have posted the correct one from my files that will put you on the true summit. The one that you have posted above will put you at about 5900' and about .6 miles northeast of the summit. Thanks again for catching this!

gimpilator

gimpilator - Mar 18, 2010 12:33 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Good Eye

Great page! One correction for you though. The lat / lon coordinates are probably correct but when lifting these numbers on SP you have to include a (-) symbol before the longitude. Try 50.54194°N / -120.58889°E and then check the link to see if it displays the right map. I've had issues with this on my pages too.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3