Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
peninsula

peninsula - Oct 22, 2012 9:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Yet another...

It is good to have known you were interested in following the trip prior to entering. Sharing your thoughts about our mothers is special, thank you.

I will share an image I took of a memorial sign nailed to a tree near my Picket Creek campsite (edit: someone else's sign, a coincidence of sorts).

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Oct 24, 2012 9:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Great TR!

Great write up (very much enjoy the writing style). Great pics! Thanks for posting. One of these years I will get to the Sierra - looks like (and I know it is) beautiful country!

800 mg of Ibuprofen 2X per day on any serious trip is mandatory. You are not alone!

Happy Trails, Mark

peninsula

peninsula - Oct 24, 2012 10:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great TR!

Thanks Mark! Yep, you know the number. My left knee is still talking to me, but I'm doing okay. I've been taking less and less, but still once every day or two.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Oct 24, 2012 10:17 pm - Voted 10/10

The Range of Light

You do it justice! -Sarah

peninsula

peninsula - Oct 24, 2012 10:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The Range of Light

Thank you, Sarah

You are very kind!

peninsula

peninsula - Oct 25, 2012 7:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Perfect!

Thanks A5RP,

The Sierra is the stuff of good times had and hopefully, many more to come. Cheers!

silversummit

silversummit - Oct 27, 2012 1:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Great combination....

Serious photography and backpacking! And I empathize so much with your aches and pains which have pretty much forced me off the trail for awhile.

Your shots are beautiful and make me want to return. We are thinking of a driving trip this spring and might swing through this beautiful area but I will miss the close-up views you got!

Keep on posting your trail-hitting inspiring work!
Kathy

peninsula

peninsula - Oct 27, 2012 2:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great combination....

Thank you, Kathy

You are kind and thoughtful. Road trips might not be the same as backpacking, but they can still be inspiring adventures all the same. Best of luck! Hopefully, you can make it back on the trail in the not-to-distant future.

I'll keep hitting the trail as long as my body will allow, but I'm going to have to cut down on the miles from here out in an effort to extend the old legs a bit further!

Cheers!

Greg

madeintahoe

madeintahoe - Oct 27, 2012 10:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Lovely Sierra

Thank you Greg for another lovely written report of your adventure!....Your words always take me away for a short time..Beautiful special memorial site for your Dear Mother.

"There is something very special about such a beautiful location with the absence of fellow campers. In absolute solitude, surrounded by 13-thousand foot peaks, and alongside the tranquility of a large high-sierra lake, life's irrelevant details simply fade away."

Love that! so very true!

peninsula

peninsula - Oct 28, 2012 9:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Lovely Sierra

Anita, thank you.
Sharing adventures is the next best thing to having 'em... the "clean slate" provided while enjoying mountain solitude is better therapy than any doctor's orders! Take care and keep in touch, Greg

peninsula

peninsula - Oct 29, 2012 9:22 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Kings Canyon

You are most welcome, John. Do make your dad's return trip, the memories will be something to cherish for years to come.

Greg

peninsula

peninsula - Oct 31, 2012 12:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: awesome photos!

It is amazing how many spectacular locations exist within the two parks. The park founders did good by keeping the area road-free! It makes all the difference.

Thank you!!

mike_lindacher

mike_lindacher - Nov 2, 2012 8:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Kings

Excellent images and commentary. Kings is a unique place.

peninsula

peninsula - Nov 2, 2012 8:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Kings

You got it, Mike. Indeed... Thanks!

Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - Nov 4, 2012 10:24 am - Voted 10/10

Great place

Great trip report. Great photos. Thank you!

peninsula

peninsula - Nov 4, 2012 11:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great place

It was a trip bent on making up for lost time in 2011. It was exciting to visit locations filed under the "must-visit" list, but given the limited timeframe, it was difficult to really soak it all in. I suppose it is always that way to some degree. I don't know how the through-hikers do it; I like to explore every section along the way. This trip did not afford the necessary time for much exploring, but the photos definitely help to enable the next best thing... a nice retrospective. Thanks!

Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - Nov 7, 2012 9:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great place

I'm the same way. Like to take a "rest" day every 3rd day just to stay in one spot and explore the area in detail.

swimjay - Jul 26, 2013 6:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Congratulations

Excellent trip report, and beautiful, evocative photos--very inspiring. I think your legs did a great job.

Was just at Longley last weekend. If I'm interpreting your "Longley Pass...Almost there" photo correctly, I think there might have been an easier, slightly circuitous route further right which dodged the boulder fields below the pass, circling around the exit of lake 11,600 and then up ramps, under South Guard, passing above the small lake which is just below the north side of Longley, in case you're ever back there.

Also, hats off for being able to stay on course after the white gas incident, which seems like it could have been devastating.

peninsula

peninsula - Jul 27, 2013 10:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Congratulations

I did recognize the easier route you describe after summiting Longley Pass. I definitely took the more difficult route! It was a great trip, but if I were ever to visit Colby Lake again, I'd most likely do it without having to negotiate Longley even though it would be far less difficult the second time around. Of all the locations I've visited in SEKI, Pickett Creek is one of my favorite spots, so I do intend returning to the area at some point in the future.

The white gas incident was a lesson learned! Thanks for reading.

Greg

DaleMatson

DaleMatson - Sep 23, 2015 7:48 am - Hasn't voted

Congratulations

Hi Greg,
I've been as far as Reflection Lake from Road's End. I live in Fresno so it's the quickest way in for me. Your photographs make me want to get at least to Longley Pass. You mentioned 17 pounds of photography gear. What photography gear do you use in the mountains? Unless I am looking for Bighorn Sheep, I don't carry a lens over 200mm. I suspect most of your shots would be using an ultrawide zoom lens.

Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
Return to 'Circling the Great Western Divide, Kings Canyon Sequoia NP' main page