Clingman's Dome, March 06,...

Clingman's Dome, March 06,...

Clingman's Dome, March 06, 2005.
BobSmith
on Mar 6, 2005 11:42 pm
Image ID: 93501

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
txmountaineer

txmountaineer - Mar 9, 2005 12:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Snow

How much snow was in the area? I'm looking at climbing up the road on Climngman's and the Mt. Mitchell trail on (surprise) Mt. Mitchell. Any route / conditions info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.



Thanks!

Daniel

BobSmith

BobSmith - Mar 9, 2005 1:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Snow

When I was there from March 4-6, there was a LOT of snow on the highest ridges. About 17 inches up on LeConte. I didn't summit Clingman's but my hiking partner to LeConte did on the 4th, and said snow cover was similar to that on LeConte.



There was a lot of melting on the lower slopes up to about 5500 feet on the 6th (it got really warm), but the highest ridges seemed to retain the snow cover.



I hear that it snowed up there Tuesday night and possibly Wednesday (today). Check with the Park Service for snow cover.



Go here for information on snow cover. Looks like Newfound Gap has about seven inches of snow, LeConte up to 18 inches. Really cold up there, too. (two degree low)

cp0915

cp0915 - Mar 9, 2005 12:30 pm - Voted 10/10

So that's what it looks like!

I've summited Clingman's Dome twice, and I've never even seen it!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Mar 9, 2005 1:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: So that's what it looks like!

Yes, that ridge is all in trees, pretty much.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4