Viewing: 1-7 of 7
DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Oct 20, 2008 7:07 am - Voted 10/10

My kind of route

Hi Carl,
i liked your report and your route, the Ogwen valley has quite a few what I like to call "mountaineering routes" like this on both sides of the road. They make a very pleasant day out and as you said, are often free of crowds, making it more enjoyable.
I would question one point, where you refer to Welsh granite!, I always thought that the rocks thereabouts were rhyolite which although chemically identical to granite, does have a much smaller chrystaline structure I think.
cheers Johnnie

igneouscarl

igneouscarl - Oct 20, 2008 7:55 am - Hasn't voted

Re: My kind of route

Cheers, I'm a big fan of Snowdonia's long mountain routes, an its always my prefered destination. I'm sure you're right about the rhyolite, but I've always simplified my rock destinations to limestone, grit and granite. Another type might complicate the system haha. But then there's sandstone though...

DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Oct 20, 2008 12:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: My kind of route

Ah now you're talking Carl, I cut my climbing teeth on the sandstone of Helsby, Frogsmouth and Pex Hill but its been a long time since I've felt that reassuring friction on the PAs. We're probably going to Ogwen this Thursday but the weather outlook is grim at the moment.
cheers Johnnie

Charles

Charles - Oct 22, 2008 9:38 am - Voted 10/10

Nice day out

It´s been a long time since I´ve been there, thanks for the memory-jolt!
Cheers
Charles

igneouscarl

igneouscarl - Oct 24, 2008 1:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice day out

You're welcome :), that was a great day out for sure.

woodsxc

woodsxc - Oct 26, 2008 2:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Wet Mountains

Sounds like you had an awesome day. Great trip report. Was there much scrambling or was it all technical?

igneouscarl

igneouscarl - Oct 27, 2008 8:34 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wet Mountains

Hi, yeap it was a great day for sure. The top part of the Cneifion Arete is grade three scrambling, so was glad to have a rope at places. Other than that it was technical climbing. Cheers, Carl.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Cneifion Expedition' main page