redsplashman23Great Page

redsplashman23

Great Page! That had to take a lot of time to put together!

Posted Feb 11, 2007 4:32 am

Sierra Ledge RatHow many peaks in Colorado?

Sierra Ledge Rat

When I first moved to Colorado, I met someone who claimed to have climbed "every single peak in the state of Colorado." Astonished, I exclaimed, "Wow! There must be thousands of peaks in Colorado!" He gave me a puzzled look and replied, "No, there are only fifty-four."
Posted Mar 12, 2007 8:48 am

RyanSRe: How many peaks in Colorado?

RyanS

Wow! To say that there only 54 peaks in Colorado takes a special kind of ignorance. I'm certainly not hard-core, and I've climbed more than two-hundred. You were correct to suspect that there are literally thousands of peaks in the state.

I contributed to a project that located and catalogued all the peaks in Colorado. While I'm sure we're missing a peak or two somewhere out there, we've catalogued 4348 peaks that have at least 300' of prominence (this is the rule commonly used to define a 14er, with popular exceptions made for North Maroon and El Diente). This tally excludes the 2400 or so named peaks that do not meet this prominence criterion.

To my knowledge, no one has climbed them all, though Mike Garratt has likely done more than anyone else. He's climbed over 2600 of them, and he's tantalizingly close to having climbed every peak above 11,000'.
Posted Mar 13, 2007 3:12 pm

Sierra Ledge RatRe: How many peaks in Colorado?

Sierra Ledge Rat

Yeah, people get into the 54 "Fourteeners" and forget about all of the "Thirteeners" and other magnificent peaks in Colorado. It's a mindset that if it's not a "Fourteener" then it doesn't exist.
Posted Mar 13, 2007 10:44 pm

hildrethapA little help

I am planning on making my first trip to Colorado spring/summer 2014 and would like to hike a few peaks while I am there. I am looking for recommendations for something that is challenging, but not too technical (still working on some things). I am also not a big fan of lots of people so something that is a little less busy than others would be great. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Posted Nov 23, 2013 11:49 am

Matt LemkeRe: A little help

Matt Lemke

That all depends on how comfortable you are scrambling and whether exposure really gets to you.
Posted Nov 23, 2013 1:14 pm