Cordillera Darwin

Cordillera Darwin

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 54.8086°S / 69.20494°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 8163 ft / 2488 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

(Site under construction)

The Cordillera Darwin is a mountain range located in the southwestern part of Tierra del Fuego. Most of the high mountains of the cordillera rise within Chile, although the range stretches into Argentina. It is part of the Andes range and includes the highest mountains in Tierra del Fuego, with elevations reaching over 2400 meters. The ice field of the Cordillera Darwin covers an area greater than 2300 square kilometers. The Darwin Range extends in a west-east direction from the Monte Sarmiento (located in the vicinity of Magdalena Channel) to Yendegaia Valley and into Argentina. It is bounded by the Almirantazgo Fjord on the north and the Beagle Channel on the south.

The Cordillera Darwin is a relatively unexplored range about 140 miles (225 kilometers) from east to west and 40 miles (65 kilometers) from north to south. It is cut by fjords usually fom the north to the south with glaciers that tumble into the sea.

The range is named after Charles Darwin and is the most important feature of Alberto de Agostini National Park.


Glacier Garibaldi Sound




Monte Darwin is considered as the highest peak of the Cordillera Darwin with 2488 meters (8163 feet). However David Hillebrandt writes in the American Alpine Journal, 1991, Band 33, " The peaks (of the Cordillera Darwin) rise to 8000 feet, the highest being P 2470 (8104 feet). This lies inland from the second highest, Monte Darwin, which is visible from the coast and was for a long time thought to be the highest." He indicates a height of 2447 meters (8028 feet) for Monte Darwin.

Getting There

Ushuaia
Ushuaia

Ushuaia is regarded as the world's most southerly city, it is located just east of the Cordillera Darwin. Several trails lead into the mountains from the city. Reaching the higher mountains, however, such as Monte Darwin and Monte Sarmiento, requires a boat.

Red Tape

Add Red Tape text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Camping

Add Camping text here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Baarb

Baarb - Feb 12, 2012 12:01 am - Hasn't voted

Also see

this page (yet to be attached) http://www.summitpost.org/monte-sarmiento/577060

Viewing: 1-1 of 1