Viewing: 1-12 of 12
haivanhuynh

haivanhuynh - Apr 27, 2009 2:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Copious

Love this area, your photos (slightly different perspectives makes all the difference), and your succinct humor.

Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - May 3, 2009 4:30 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Copious

Thank you very much!

scotthsu

scotthsu - Apr 27, 2009 4:29 pm - Voted 10/10

loved your TR

this is one of the favorite places i've ever been; need to get back there soon. i chuckled at the "definitions" section and your "bad snow" quote. did you huck the 'shrund?

Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - May 3, 2009 4:32 am - Hasn't voted

Santa Fe Baldy

As a native of Santa Fe, I can tell you that the Santa Fe ski area is one of my favorites. I love the backcountry that is accessible from the ski area parking lot. And the full-moon descents off Santa Fe Baldy.... In the summer I used to do 20-mile runs in the mountains out there in Lost Almost.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Apr 27, 2009 7:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Great shots!

Really like all the views from up in the glacier! The vienna sausage gourmet meal is mouthwatering!

Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - May 3, 2009 4:33 am - Hasn't voted

Vienna Gourmet

My middle name ain't "Gourmet" for nothin'!

jmc

jmc - May 1, 2009 1:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks for the new perspective

I have been up there in the summer. I can see now that I picked the wrong season. You have inspired me to check out the springtime Glacier. I am not convinced yet about skiing the U notch, yikes!

Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - May 3, 2009 4:35 am - Hasn't voted

Get out there...

...and rip!

bajaandy

bajaandy - May 1, 2009 3:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Ahhhh, the Palisade Glacier

Nice report, but I must admit that I was at first a bit confused.

"Palisade Glacier", I thought. "Been there a couple of times, camped out high on the lateral moraine below the U-Notch. That's a long slog from the car."

And then I saw the months that the pictures were taken... The one on the trail with the enormous pack said it was taken in May. Then a shot high on the terminal moraine, only the date on that shot was taken in JUNE! And then yet another one of the climber standing near the glacial tarn, only taken in JULY!!

"E-GADS!", I thought. "It took them a MONTH to get there!! And then it was so good that they stayed for another month? Where is this mythical Palisades Glacier covered in corn snow of which they speak? Surely it can not be the same glacier that resides below the flanks of North Palisade mountain in the Sierra Nevada?"

But then, I saw the map, and all was made clear to me. This Zanadu of corn was indeed my beloved Palisade Glacier.

And right here in front of my computer monitor, I dropped to one knee and cried out, “I believe! I believe!”

(Oh, and thanks for the cool photo essay.)

Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - May 2, 2009 6:42 pm - Hasn't voted

I WISH!

I WISH that I could stay up there 2 MONTHS! My record stay was 3 weeks. Had to make numerous trips between the glacier and Big Pine trailhead to get all my gear and food up there!

All the photos were taken at various times over many years. My first trip to the Palisades was in 1978.

bajaandy

bajaandy - May 2, 2009 11:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Dude!

Three weeks is a long time! I'd love to spend that much time up there!

I know your photos were taken at different times... that was my lame attempt at humor.

I think my first time up there was in 1980.

Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - May 3, 2009 4:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Dude!

Yeah, I know, I laughed pretty hard when I read your first post! maybe see you on the glacier someday!

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Corn Gods and the Palisade Glacier' main page