Cougar Crest Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.28310°N / 116.8992°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy (Class 1)
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description


Follow Cougar crest trail which begins in a beautiful natural draw that hasenjoyable scenery and a wide array of Pinyon Pines, junipers, and Jeffery pines. The old wide fireroad(previously a mining road) continues fairly gently upward for about 2 miles where it bends to the right traversing the northern aspect of the mountain. At about 2.2 miles the trail intersects the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) where you bear right followint the trail in an easterly direction. The lake now comes into view along with the spectacualr views of the San Gorgonio Wilderness and Mt. San Gorgonio Southern California's highpoint at 11,490'. You follow the PCT for about 0.4 mi and at 2.6 mi from the start you will cross an rocky old service road. From here turn right(East) on the road which leads up an additional 0.7 miles to the unimpressive summit with fine views of the Holcomb Valley and the Mojove Desert to the north. If you don't mind the microwave relay station at the top it is a fine short hike if you have a few hours to kill. The small peakbagger's register is found hangin on a post of the relay stations chain link frence in a red coffee can. Alternatively there appears to be a dirt road Forest Road 2N09 "Holcomb Valley Road" that leads up the Pollgue Canyon where it intersects the Old serive road off to the right as descrobed above. Not sure what the Forest service regulations ar on this road so check wiht the Ranger Station or Discovery Center before heading out on this one.

Phone Numbers


U.S. Forest Service (909)-866-3437 Big Bear Discovery Center (909)-866-3437 Located on North Shore Drive, Highway 38 Big Bear Lake, California Fax: 909-866-1781 Mailing Address: P.O. Box 66 Fawnksin, CA 92333 Mill Creek Ranger Station (909)-794-1123