Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.73220°N / 121.1022°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5853 ft / 1784 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cowboy Mountain
 Cowboy Mountain from Route 2


Cowboy Mountain located in Stevens Pass is most famous for being a skier's mountain in Stevens Pass, Washington. But this mountain has so many other properties as well and in a good mountain for a ski mountaineering trip, ice axe training trip or even as a good simple snow climb. During the winter this mountain is open to skiers at the Stevens Pass ski resort. But once the ski resort closes it then becomes fair game for backcountry ski, snow climbs and even no trace camping.

Sunrise on Cowboy Mountain
 Heading up Cowboy Mountain


Because the mountain is located in Stevens Pass which is right in the heart of the convergence zone, it routinely receive 400-500 inches of snow yearly and consistantly keep snow until June. It is also next to Route 2 which makes this mountain easy access to others. Despite all of that Cowboy Mountain doesn't receive nearly as much popularity as other mountains further south such as Granite Mountain or Mount Si at least by hikers. Snowmobilers though know this area very well though so if you go here in May don't be surprised to here them.

Climbers on Cowboy Mountain
 The views form Cowboy Mountain


As for the route up it is YDS Class 2 if you go up by the ski area. You can start in the parking area of Stevens Pass Ski Area and walk right up the ski trails. When heading up aim for the western side of the ridge or the ridge to your right. This is especially the case in spring because that north face is very steep and avalanches are very prominant there.

Sunrise on Cowboy Mountain
 Sunrise on Cowboy Mountain


Cowboy Mountain does have views on the summit and the summit ridge. Though not quiet 360 degrees, it's stellar views of Glacier Peak and many others to the north, Rock Mountain to the east and partial views of Daniel and Hinman to the south definitely make this mountain a worthy summit.

Views on Cowboy Mountain
 Glacier Peak and friends


Route Map

Cowboy Mountain Route Map
Cowboy Mountain Route Map

Getting There

VIA THE SKI RESORT: The trailhead here is the ski area which is located in Stevens Pass right off of Route 2. It is located 30 miles west of Leavenworth and about 40 miles east of Monroe.

Red Tape

Cowboy Mountain is where the ski resort is and is usually not desirable to go to climb in winter. In fact the alpine ski trails are off limits. Parking for the most part is free with the exception of the summit lot (Lot A) on the south side of Highway 2, with a parking fee of $10 on weekends, holidays. If you carpool, with 3 or more people, the cost is $5 according to the Steven's Pass Website.

Camping

Camping is allowed at the ski area during the springtime when there is still snow and the ski resort is closed. However this mountain is closed to camping in winter and summer. There are however plenty of areas nearby to camp on the Pacific Crest Trail and other nearby trails.

External Links

Weather and Mountain Conditions

Check in with Noaa for the weather forecast.

Here is a constantly updated web cam photo of Steven's Pass road


Check in with Steven's Pass's Website for snow the snow report of the mountain.

For Avalanche Conditions check in with the Northwest Avalanche Center.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
gimpilator

gimpilator - Jul 18, 2015 9:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Dead Link

Could you include a route map somewhere on this page?

EastKing

EastKing - Jul 18, 2015 11:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Map

Map on the page now.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Jul 19, 2015 10:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Map

That's great! Thank you.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.