Crazy Peak Comments

SaintgrizzlyGood to see...

Saintgrizzly

...this mountain get its due! One suggestion I have is to elaborate a bit more on the various myths and legends surrounding these mountains, and the history of the area (although maybe you're planning on doing so in the "Crazy Mountains" Areas & Ranges section).
Posted May 9, 2006 6:18 am

b.Re: Good to see...

b.

That's right on the mythology. Still working, being slowed by good weather.
Posted May 9, 2006 6:22 am

bakcastCrazy, Crazy

bakcast

Nice Page Brenon - I've got some photos I can add - thanks for doing the hard work.

When you summited, did you downclimb the NE couloir and then come back up or did you downclimb one of the SW couloirs? I'm assuming you did the NE based on your description of the Crazy Couloir. We took the SW way around last summer
Posted May 9, 2006 3:12 pm

b.Re: Crazy, Crazy

b.

We downclimbed a slot from the west summit, then down into the Crazy Couloir (NE?). It did look like you could traverse around the south side if there were less snow. The couloir had good snow, so it seemed easier and safer.
Posted May 9, 2006 3:21 pm

Jerry LQuestions?

Jerry L

Have far from Bozeman to the exit off I-90 ?

Do you know anything about Half Moon Campground ? Is it private, have hook-ups for RV's, web-site ?

Bears ?
Posted May 11, 2006 10:44 am

b.Answers?

b.

I guess it's about an hour total from Bozeman to Big Timber. Halfmoon is a forest service campground and I don't think there are hookups, check the website for the Gallatin Nat'l forest. Bears are everywhere, but no grizzlies up there as far as I know.
Posted May 11, 2006 1:19 pm

Bob BoltonGreat addition

Bob Bolton

Thanks for adding Crazy! Nice looking peak and page! I'm planning to have a go at it in early July. Been hoping that someone would add it to SP, and it is now properly included in the 48-state Ultra-prominence list. Now I need just one more page, Mt. Cleveland. There's a Cleveland climb in the works over Labor Day weekend. Maybe after that climb one of the team could add Cleveland to SP. Our group includes Fred Spicker and saintgrizzly, either of whom would do it justice. Interested in that climb?

Bob
Posted May 12, 2006 4:33 am

b.Re: Great addition

b.

Sorry, Labor Day weekend is my anniversary, so I'm climbing in the Sawtooth's with my wife. Good luck, though!
Posted May 15, 2006 9:13 pm

samhSoon to be...

samh

I've taken a job in Bozeman and this peak is now on my to-do-list. The information of this listing is excellent, from the photo of the trail split to the mention of the false summits, et al. Thank you.
Posted Jun 30, 2008 11:35 pm

Bobbersnow and more snow

I hiked to Granite Lake which is the first lake up there yesterday which was June 28, 2014. It rained the whole way up. As soon as I crossed the 3rd and last bridge there was lots of snow. The rain obliterated the previous tracks in the snow so I had to do a bit of trail hunting and found the way to the lakes. They were all frozen over still. The first little ponds were not. I saw nobody on the way up and 5 people on the way down.
FWIW It is about an hour drive from Big Timber to the trailhead. That makes it 2 hours from Bozeman. If you are coming on I-90 from the west then take the west Big Timber exit and the opposite if coming from the east.
And to answer a previous old comment question: "there are no RV hookups".
Posted Jun 29, 2014 10:33 am