Csíki-hegyek

Csíki-hegyek

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 47.46999°N / 18.93013°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1312 ft / 400 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Csíki-hegyek is a SW-NE chain of hills west of Budapest. It's a popular hiking area with many marked and countless unmarked paths. The hills are surrouned by the houses and wineyards of Budaörs and Budakeszi.

This area is a perfect choice if you want to hike with children besause they cannot get bored here: the landscape is changing at every step. There are forests of oaks, black pine forests, bushes of wild rose, and grassy hills as well. One can find some small boulders also. It's easily accessable either by car or by public transport.

Getting There

By bus from Budapest:
  • Take the bus no. 90 from Moszkva square until its terminal station (KFKI). This is the place where this chain links to the central part of Budai-hegység
  • Take the bus no. 40 to one of the stops in Budaörs. The bus goes a few hundred meters south of the hills.

By car:
Go to Budaörs, and find a parking place:). My favourite is just next to the bus stop called "Kötő utca". It's an ideal starting point for Odvas-hegy and Kő-hegy

Hills of the chain

The Csíki-hegyek ("hegyek" means mountains in Hungarian) form a main chain and a few smaller hills on the southern side. These latter ones are however, the most popular ones, partly because there are no trees on them.
The monument of gliders on Farkas-hegy

The main chain (from west to east):

Huszonnégyökrös-hegy (Mount of Twenty-four Oxes)
The westernmost hill. Mostly covered by black pine forest, but there are clearings on the top, and a nice rock wall on the northwestern side
Csík-hegy, Ló-hegy (Mount Horse)
These hills are forested with a few clearings.
Szállás-hegy
There was a mine on this hill, which is currently under recultivation.
Szekrényes-hegy (Mount Wardrobe)
A partially bald hill with some dolomite boulders. There is a strange concrete jump at the summit, once probably used as a take-off place for paragliders.
Farkas-hegy (Mount Wolf)
A bald hill with a gliding monument on its summit. In the past there was a centre of gliders on this hill, the ruins of their hangars are still visible.

Odvas-hegy from the west

The southern hills

Út-hegy (Mount Road)
Odvas-hegy (Cavernous Mount)
A bald hill with nice boulders on its eastern slope and a perfect panorama from the summit.
Kő-hegy (Stone Mount)
This is the smallest but probably the most interesting hill. There are nice boulders on the top with a cross on the targest one, a small chapel and some artificial caves under the cliffs. These caves served as a refuge for the German population of Budaörs when they were pursued.

Marked paths

Here is a map of the paths from turistautak.hu
Map of Csíki-hegyek


The most important is the path marked by yellow stripes ( ). It goes on the northern side of the eastern part and on the southern side of the western part. The changing point is the saddle between Szállás-hegy and Ló-hegy.

Maps


A Budai-hegység turistatérképe, 1 : 30 000, Cartographia
The "standard" Hungarian tourist map of the area. Marked paths are purple lines with various letters showing the colour of the marks. See the legend of the map for the exact meanings.
A Budai-hegység és a Pilis, 1 : 25 000, Térkép-Faragó / Freytag&Berndt
Also a good map. Marked paths are red or blue lines, and small pictograms show the exact appearance of the marks on the terrain.

Red Tape

Most of the area is under protection. Follow the instructions on the signs.

External Links

turistautak.hu is the place if you're looking for gps-compatible tourist maps of Hungary

budai-hegyseg.lap.hu/ is a good start to the hills of Budapest, but it is completely in Hungarian.

Camping

Camping is not allowed.

For the kids

There is an excellent playground just below the Huszonnégyökrös-hegy with a few parking places also. It's a good option to make a short hike to the cliffs of the mountain, and return to the playground.