Curley Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
CheesySciFi

CheesySciFi - Apr 23, 2011 6:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Distance and elevation gain

Sarah, could you add something about the round trip distance and elevation gain for this mountain?

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Apr 24, 2011 5:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Distance and elevation gain

Tom,

Until I get a chance to add a route, I'll put my "look for the route coming soon" page to this Mtn page.

Generally, unless there is only one obvious route up a peak (due to access issues, for instance) I keep my routes and mountain pages separate. Sorry for any confusion.

Sarah

CheesySciFi

CheesySciFi - Apr 24, 2011 7:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Distance and elevation gain

Thanks, Sarah. Actually, most of my confusion about this mountain is due to factors that are beyond your control:

"If not for this mountain’s respectable prominence of 1,800 feet, all of this may be a non-issue. But given the peak’s prominence, the question is begged: Is this mountain UN 9660 with an officially named sub-peak called Curley Peak? Of did the USGS make a mistake in where they marked Curley Peak, heading too far east? And, in fact, the given USGS elevation for Curley Peak of 9,622 feet an error, with the real summit lying less than ½ mile west and 38 feet higher?"

"The Wet Mountains generally tend to be warmer and drier than most mountain ranges in Colorado."

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Apr 26, 2011 12:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Distance and elevation gain

Tom: Yeah, the Wet Mountains are considered wet vs. Canon City & Pueblo...but dry compared to other mountains.

Confused yet??? ;)

Sarah

pyerger

pyerger - Apr 27, 2011 2:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks

Thanks for making this page sarah! I climb at Tanner dome a few times a year, and always wondered what was up that trail. My wife and I had our sights set on Tanner peak but that ended up to be to far in the snow,so we hiked Curley instead. Views of the Sangre's WOW!!!

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Apr 27, 2011 7:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks

Thanks for the note! Good timing - I'm putting up a route page via Tanner Trail shortly. Yeah - the views from Curley, esp. that meadow immediately to the east of the USGS peak...just amazing. :)

Sarah

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Curley Peak' main page