Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Dean

Dean - Feb 26, 2007 6:13 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent

One of the better additions I've seen lately here at summitpost. This has a lot of useful information that will aid those of us who would like to ascend Currant Mtn. Thanks for putting this together.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Feb 27, 2007 2:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent

Many people say I'm too analytical. Can't help myself!

Really, it's one of the neatest mountains in NV. When we were there, the register showed visits ~1 year apart... then within 2 weeks, Gerry Roach was there! Go figure.

aobbard

aobbard - Jul 15, 2013 12:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Better final summit route

I summited 7/13/13. Couple observations:

-I (mostly) followed Gerry Roach’s description up SE route. I do believe it’s the easiest route, but even so, this is a tough climb. LOTS of talus/scree on steep pitches. Way, way harder than nearby similar-height peaks (N. Schell, Moriah, Wheeler, Ibapah, Haystack…)

-I think the best, easiest and safest route up the final SE face of the peak is a variant of MoapaPk’s “magenta” route. Follow the solid rock path up as described. When you get to the class 3 (seems like 4?) downclimb, turn around, descend 25 ft on the steep ramp you just climbed to a bristlecone “bush” on your (descender's) left. Turn left almost 180 degrees in front of the bush, step easily to ground below rock outcrop. Re-climb 25 feet, bypassing the downclimb on climber’s right. Continue easily to summit.

-There was no register on the peak. I searched and searched. Bring a new one if you go.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jul 16, 2013 5:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Better final summit route

Class 3, tops, for most people. I've mentioned a total class 2 bypass for people who don't like scrambling. It gets worse for the traverse to Duckwater. But I've added you comment to the text.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Currant-Duckwater Loop' main page