Dangmachan

Dangmachan

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.00000°N / 78.00000°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 16919 ft / 5157 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Located in the remote valley of Spiti in the state of Himachal Pradesh in Northern India, Dangmachan is a nice and easy trekking peak offering a great view on the snow-covered peaks all around (and a laid back way to break 5000m).

Rising above the village of Kibber (at 4220m), a fit and well acclimatized group can do the peak as a day trek. Others might find it more convenient to camp somewhere on the way.

Getting There

Starting point for the hike is the village of Kibber.

If you're not in India, you should fly to Delhi. From Delhi there are several daily buses to Manali (400rs-1000rs depending on quality). You can easily catch a bus to Manali also from Chandigarh, Dharamsala and other cities of the north.

There are daily busses from Manali and Kullu to Kaza, the provincial capital of Spiti valley (leave around 5am, duration 11h, cost around 150rs). Some might find the trip more comfortable in jeep. (Marginally faster than bus. Shared through agency 500rs per person, or hired 4000rs for the whole vehicle).

From Kaza there is a daily bus to Kibber (Leaves on afternoon, 30min, 10rs.) Also jeeps available (around 500rs one way).

Red Tape

Surprisingly none. Foreigners do need to show their passport and visa when entering the Spiti valley.

If you plan to continue the trek north or east of the peak, you will need permits. Inquiries can be made in Kaza.

When to go

September is ideal when the monsoon is over but the passes are clear.

Spiti is an arid high altitude desert and the risk of rains is very small, but bad weather might make the trip from Manali to Spiti very uncomfortable.

The whole valley becomes inaccessible in October as the snow fills the passes and opens up again in May or June.

Camping

No restrictions once you get out of the village fields.

More info

HIMACHAL PRADESH Sheet 6: Kalpa - Kinnaur, Spiti & Shimla area from Leomann Maps