Day One in Southern Utah

Day One in Southern Utah

Page Type Page Type: Album
Day one of what? Day one of our 4 day trip through Southern Utah. It included myself and my son in law from Oregon, Andrew.

Day two took us to the top of a peak in Capitol Reef National Park, one that entailed close to 9 miles of hiking and several thousand feet of elevation gain. After that we headed to a nice tour down highway 12 and camped at a nice campground about ten miles east of Escalante.

Day three
took us to the top of Canaan Peak, west of Escalante and a leisurely afternoon spent at Kodachrome Basin State park, where we camped for the night but had a chance to do a couple little hikes within the park. A very nice campground..

Day four started early, at 5:30 and we made the trip down Cottonwood Canyon road to highway 89 and then returned up the Johnson Canyon-Skutumpah road where we lunched at Ruby's at Bryce Canyon. The afternoon saw us visiting the drive up summit of Barney Top (unexpected drive up) and a hike to Powell Point. After that, we drove back to the Lehi area so we could participate in family activities scheduled for the next day.

Summary: Lots of miles, several summits visited and camping out for three nights. A nice 4 days.

Not what we had planned but....

We wanted to do a mountain over on the Wasatch Plateau but a thunderstorm moved in and so we went to the back up plan, Cedar Mountain (7665'). Why Cedar Mountain? Well, it is one of the top 100 prominence peaks and has to be done sometime and poor weather elsewhere was a good excuse to give it a look see.

What I didn't really know, was that it was a complete drive up. Yes, they built towers and structures on the highest area and so it wasn't a hike at all, but rather a drive with a bit of walking around done at the end of the long drive. A benchmark and witness marker both had "Reef" on them so at one
time it was obvious to me that this place was called "Reef", not Cedar Mountain. I'm posting this as an album as I don't care to post it as a "mountain" page. For the few that might be interested in visiting this spot, this page is for you. Good maps will get you there and I would highly recommend Benchmark as it is very accurate. Go to Price, head south to Huntington and wander east to Cleveland. Dirt roads will take you the rest of the way. About 20 miles. Everything else you need to know can be found on this List of John page: HERE.

After we visited this area, we headed south to Capitol Reef National Park where we camped out at the Fruita Campground.


Comments

No comments posted yet.