Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.84194°N / 115.471°W
Additional Information County: Elko
Additional Information Elevation: 8977 ft / 2736 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview





Deer MountainDeer Mountain from County Hwy 748.

Deer Mountain is located in the Humboldt National Forest in northern Nevada, about 4 miles outside of the western border of the Jarbidge Wilderness Area. With an elevation of 8,977 feet and prominence of 477 feet, Deer Mountain is a minor summit in the area. The impressive Jarbidge Mountains lie just 4 miles east of the summit and include Matterhorn (elev. 10,838 ft.) and Jarbidge Peak (elev. 10,793 ft.) as well as several other 10k peaks. This is a drive-up summit that involves nearly 90 miles round-trip on dirt roads. This time-consuming drive will take you through some beautiful scenery in one of the most remote areas of the United States. The 4WD road to the summit runs along the south ridge of the mountain.

There is an antenna array and solar panels on the summit. The best views are of the rugged terrain and distant ranges to the west and the nearby Copper Mountains to the southwest.

Deer Mountain summit viewThe summit, looking east.
Deer Mountain summit viewThe Copper Mountains from the summit.
Deer Mountain summit viewSummit view to the west.

Getting There

From NV 225 (about 50 miles north of Elko and 22 miles south of Mountain City), turn east onto County Hwy 746. From this point, the route is dirt road. Proceed east for about 20 miles. At the intersection with County Hwys 747 and 748 next to Charleston Reservoir, turn left onto Hwy 748 and proceed north for about 23 miles. Hwys 746 and 748 are maintained roads that are drivable with 2WD vehicles. At Bear Creek Summit, turn left onto the 4WD road and proceed north for 1.2 miles to the summit. You will see this 4WD road well before reaching the turnoff. The road is steep and loose enough to necessitate 4WD. If you are in a 2WD vehicle, just park off to the side and take the short hike up the 4WD road.

County Hwy 746County Hwy 746.
Meadow Fork drainageMeadow Fork drainage.
Deer Mountain4WD road to the summit.

Red Tape

USFS regulations apply.

Camping

The Pine Creek campground has 5 campsites free of charge and is by the Jarbidge River, less than 2 miles south of town.

Dispersed camping is permitted in the national forest at no cost.

Food & Lodging

Jarbidge is the nearest town, about a 7-mile drive from Deer Mountain. Jarbidge, the last the Nevada’s great boom towns, has a population of less than 20, but does offer some facilities. The Outdoor Inn (775-488-3211) offers food and lodging. There is a small store and a gas pump. There is also an RV at the north end of town.

External Links

Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest – Jarbidge Ranger District

The Official Jarbidge website