Degree Confluence Project

Degree Confluence Project

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Hiking

General Information

Recently I had a conversation with an old friend of mine, he wanted to know if I had a GPS unit because we wanted to visit a place on the North of Nuevo León State south the border of USA.

I just asked why he wanted to do that and explained to me why……here´s the real story about it.

Alex Jarrett started the project in February 1996 because he liked the idea of visiting a location represented by a round number such as 43°00'00"N 72°00'00"W. What would be there? (he asked) Would other people have recognized this as a unique spot? Another reason was that his friend managed to convince him to buy a GPS now he had to come up with something to do with it. He also hoped to encourage people to get outside, tromp around in places they normally would never go, and take pictures of it.

He visited several confluences on his own and posted them to his personal web site. Before long others found the site and visited confluences of their own, and it just snowballed from there.
Now this an universal project looking to visit every spot, sharing the experience to get there and images from around the place so they can be compared with others far away from each other but sharing same latitude or longitude.

This from my point of view is very interesting because we can see images from all around the world and see geographical variants on each confluence and unite people under one simple goal with some competition ingredient to visit one of those spots and be one of those few who can say “ I visited one of those confluence points”.

This is getting very interesting, each day people is visiting new spots of course easiers to get there and there leaving just more inaccessible and more difficult only for those really ready for the challenge.

The Goal

There´s a project called Degree Confluence, this project was started by Alex Jarret with the idea to visit each of the latitude and longitude integer degree intersections in the world, and to take pictures at each location. The pictures, along with a narrative describing the adventures it took to get there are then posted on this web site (http://confluence.org/index.php). This creates an organized sampling of the world.

Another goal is to document the changes at these locations over time. Although they initially want the people to visit as many different locations as possible, you don't hesitate to revisit a confluence if you're in the area.

Additional Information

The project is an organized sampling of the world. There is a confluence within 49 miles (79 km) of you if you're on the surface of Earth. We've discounted confluences in the oceans and some near the poles, but there are still 11,219 to be found.

Based on the currently indexed confluences, 30% of the primary confluences have now been visited!

If you want more information about this project please visit:
http://confluence.org/index.php

There you can find everything related to it, of course those spot already visited and those still pending, some others not completed etc….


Comments

No comments posted yet.