Viewing: 1-14 of 14
BobSmith

BobSmith - Nov 24, 2010 6:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Good grief, man!

It seems like just a few years ago you were only hiking up Appalachian peaks! Now you're conquering the highest mountain in North America!

Tbacon251

Tbacon251 - Nov 29, 2010 4:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good grief, man!

Yes, I have been climbing higher and higher, however the AT is my favorite place on earth to hike and climb. I am headed back to Argentina in 2012 with some good friends to climb Aconcagua again. Who knows where I will end up in a couple years :)

Be safe,
Troy

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Nov 24, 2010 10:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Great article

Trooper Haynes was killed just a short distance from my home here in Kalispell. His death was a profound loss to our community. Thank you for honoring his life with yours.

Tbacon251

Tbacon251 - Nov 29, 2010 4:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great article

Flathead,

It was our pleasure to honor him in this way.

Be safe,

Troy

attimount

attimount - Nov 28, 2010 8:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Enjoy reading

Congratulation for the entire team and for the cause of the expedition. You patience, finally brought you and your friends to the summit.
I was there too this last season, and indeed the weather was quite bad, unfortunatly we had to turn back from near Denali pass.
Also we experienced the same problems with those guided teams, slowing down the whole face at the point you get so cold you have to turn back.
All the best.

Tbacon251

Tbacon251 - Nov 29, 2010 4:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Enjoy reading

Thanks for the kind words attimount. The rangers said it was a cold and unpredictable year on Denali...what it should be like. The last few year, according to the Rangers I spoke with, have been fairly mild.

Hope you get a chance to go back some day.

Be safe,

Troy

AndyJB444

AndyJB444 - Nov 29, 2010 2:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice!

Congrats on the summit and nice report. Thanks for helping to wand and break-in the trail for us later teams!

Cheers,
Andy

Tbacon251

Tbacon251 - Nov 29, 2010 4:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

Andy,

Thanks for the kind words. Denali sure is a special place. I hope to go back someday.

Be safe,

Troy

suddendescent

suddendescent - Nov 30, 2010 1:29 pm - Voted 10/10

The highest point in North America !

By the looks of it, considering the initial elevation , it looks like one hell of a climb to the top of a mountain within the permafrost that is eons away from civilisation...

The highest peak in north america in being so isolated must make it a real challenge which must rival if not surpass climbing other isolated and virtually unexplored peaks an example being the peaks of the Torngat range on the eastern tip of Ungava bay (the western fringe of the most northern peaks) which from space look astounding... Check out the satellite imagery on Google from the bay under the words Torngat mountains...

Tbacon251

Tbacon251 - Nov 30, 2010 2:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The highest point in North America !

It was a hell of a climb. I loved the challenge. I will check out the satellite images you suggested.

Be safe,
Troy

JPH

JPH - Nov 30, 2010 7:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Honor

Troy and team members - You have no idea what it is like to see the National Geographic special on Denali Park and know a piece of Mike's life is up there - I am sure he was proud to be honored is such a way - RIP SON WE WILL NOT FORGET

Tbacon251

Tbacon251 - Nov 30, 2010 10:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Honor

It was our pleasure and honor.

Troy

deputc26

deputc26 - Jan 21, 2011 6:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Gear question?

Hey man what boots did you use? I'm planning a trip this spring, already lost a couple toes to frostbite...

Tbacon251

Tbacon251 - Jan 21, 2011 9:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Gear question?

I have a pair of ASOLO AFS 8000's. I have had them for several years. They fit my feet great. I caught some frostbite on Denali but it was probably poor calorie intake and keeping my core temp warm on Windy Corner. I dont fault the boot. My feet healed up just fine. No problems.

My overboots were from 40 Below.

Be safe,

Troy

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Return to 'Denali...finally!' main page