Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.24460°N / 118.1068°W
Additional Information County: Los Angeles
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5769 ft / 1758 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Desolation Pinnacle rises at the end of the south ridge of Mt. Disappointment in the San Gabriel Mountains, Angeles National Forest. It is an unofficial peak named along similar lines to nearest neighbors, Mt. Disappointment and Mt. Deception. Atop the pinnacle, you get commanding views of Bear Canyon and the surrounding mountains in the area. Many rocks and boulders along the way are fire scorched.

Getting There

Follow the Angeles Crest Highway (highway 2) north from La Canada Flintridge about 15 miles to Red Box Station or Eaton Saddle. Plenty of parking is available from both trailheads.

Route

There is no trail or official route, but there are several cross country options. The easiest is to head up to Mt. Disappointment, then descend the southeast gully just below the summit to the saddle, then climb directly up the pinnacle, a purely class 2 route.

Another route is to descend the south ridge from Mt. Disappointment, with a few class 3 sections, including a very steep hard packed dirt area just above the saddle. It may also be possible to climb up from Bear Canyon, though I am not aware of any ascents from the canyon.

Red Tape

California Adventure Pass may be required to park at any of the trailheads in the area.

When to Climb

Year round. There may be snow in winter months.

Camping

Nearby camping is available at Switzer Campground.

External Links