Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 26, 2007
Activities Activities: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring

Skiing Daimond Peak, Memorial Day Weekend. Uber Sweet

We hiked in Memorial Day weekend off of Forest Road 21 Just past Oakridge. You take a right after the small Last Stop shop on the outskirts, there's also a Fire Danger Sign almost immediately before as well. Then just keep watching for the "21" signs. I can't remember exactly what road you take off of 21 but it drops you at a trailhead we accessed easily with only bumpy gravel but no snow. THe trailhead is on the West facing side. The hike into our basecamp just below treeline made hiking to the summit an easy 2-2.5 hour hike each day. From there we experienced perfect Spring skiing. We hiked in t-shirts and got way sunburned, hiked in overcast windy weather, and early morning clear and cool weather. Almost every face slid with heavy saturated slough sliding easily a more icy layer underneath. Some wind loaded cornices on east facing slopes were solid in the morning but looked pretty sketch in the afternoon and the overcast day following sprinkles through the night.
All in all the skiing was sick! the hikes were easy and totally worth everything we skied. Not crazy huge runs but totally worth a trip to the area. The mountain prevides some sick views with Mt. Hood on the northern Horizon and Shasta to the south in perfect weather. We easily spent three days without having to overlap the same runs more than once. If a person was ambitious and sacrificed Quantity for Quality. You can potentially access some really solid looking lines to the NE on a south facing bowl. The hike over might be a lil sketch but as long as you know what you're doing and can read a bad situation when you see or sense one Get there early and rip a sweet sweet spot.
I could go on with how good of an end to the season weekend it was but that'd last a really long time.
Peace

Comments

No comments posted yet.