Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.75290°N / 122.2084°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4859 ft / 1481 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Dome Rock obviously get its name from its shape. A bald chunk of solid rock. At the summit you'll find an incredible 360 deg. unobstructed view of the surrounding area. This is a non-technical hike to the summit but can be a grueling workout in the winter time. I prefer to explore this rock in the winter on snoeshoes because of its challange, and beauty. The winter route starts at 1600' and ends at the summit of 4860'. Usually after 3200' it's a scramble to the summit because the snow has covered the trail. I'm not a technical rope climber but I do love to scramble (bushwack) with my hands, feet, and sometimes my knee caps. This is one of my favorite snowshoe climbs. There are some shear faces to this rock. Some rock climbers may find it interesting.
Dome Rock from...

Getting There

Located near the Detroit Lake recreational area. Take Hwy. 22 east from Salem, or west from the town of detroit. The lower trail head for trail #3379 is located just west of the new ranger station at the Tumble Creek crossing. Park on the east side of the crossing. To find out more about this trail go to www.wildernet.com ....The upper trail head, #3379/3381, is located within 1.5 miles from the summit. Take road #2223 (French Creek road) for about 7.7miles. Road #2223 starts at the west end of the big green bridge that crosses over the tail end of French Creek and the Breitenbush River.

Red Tape

Permits, and or parking pass, are not required.

When To Climb

The upper trail head can usually be accessed between late June and late November. The lower trail head, because of the snow plow, can be accessed all year.

Camping

The large, noisy, expensive, Detroit Lake Campground is right accross the Hwy. Or, if you follow the "leave no trace" rules, there are incredible spots all around the area.

Mountain Conditions

For current conditions, first call the Detroit Ranger Station at 503-854-3366 then try www.weather.com .....Use zip code #97342

Miscellaneous Info

Cell phone reception is clear on top of the summit.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.