Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 45.67359°N / 122.15602°W
Additional Information County: Skamania
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 671 ft / 205 m

Gateway to the Cascade Foothills

Dougan  Creek #3Staging area overlooking Dougan Creek.

Dougan Creek Campground, located in high Northeast Washougal, Washington near the popular Dougan Falls Recreational Area, is a popular base camp for hiking/scrambling activity due to its close proximity to the the South Yacolt Burn State Forest and The Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Located at approximately 700 feet elevation, the area marks the beginning of Forest Road 1200 to the North, which provides direct access to the Silver Star Mountain area(GPNF), as well as The Washougal River Forest road which continues Northeast, and accesses the Three Corner Rock portion of the Pacific Crest Trail.

Where The Road Ends and The Trail Begins

Dougan Creek #6Point at which Dougan Creek runs into the Washougal River
Dougan Creek #5
Dougan Creek 4

In Progress

Recent Infamy due to Beating Incident

Dougan Creek Campground #1Dougan Falls Rec. Area: Three weeks prior to beating incident.

The Dougan Creek Campground area was recently the location of an infamous beating/carjacking incident (Feb. 9th) involving a local cross-country skier and two assailants. This brazen attack has come to national attention with the recent filming of an America's Most Wanted television episode at the site, and a nationwide manhunt of the two individuals connected with the crime. These two individuals were alleged to have been illegally camping at the site, which remains closed throughout the winter months (site is manned by camp volunteers during the open season). Although the Dougan Creek Campground is as safe a camping area as any other in the state, this isolated incident should only serve to heighten our awareness when recreating in semi-remote areas with limited law enforcement.

Links Concerning Beating Incident.
Columbian Newspaper Article
KATU News Link
KXL Radio