Downs Mountain Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3

STW - Aug 23, 2010 2:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Additional Info - Summer 2010

We were in this area summer 2010. We went for Downs when we were camped at Faler Lake. Climbed up the drainage (cairn-marked trail) below Faler and up from there. We had been advised to head up to Bear Lake, on to Daphne Lake, then up to Downs from there. Won't work. Skip these lakes and head directly up from the top of the drainage above Faler. There is a hard-to-follow set of cairns that takes you up the most direct way through the sections that are not obvious. Note also that the hike up/down from Natural Bridge to Clear Lake and Faler Lake is trickier than expected. It is all non-maintained. There is a faint cairn-marked path, but lots and lots of deadfall trees interrupt the path continuously making for hard route-finding and slow progress. A spectactular area, but a climb that required more time and effort than we expected.

carljm - Aug 13, 2020 5:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks! And a note about the east route

We did the east route to Downs via base camp at Bomber Lake Aug 10-12. This route guide was very helpful, thank you!

One clarification that would have helped us a lot is that you should cross Torrey Creek from east bank to west bank a lot sooner than when it finally turns west toward Bomber Lake. We ended up doing a lot of very slow bushwhacking along the southern portion of the east bank when (as we discovered on the way down) there was a nice trail on the west bank. I’d advise crossing the creek from east to west before the chain of little lakes formed along the creek in the southern portion of the leg from Bomber falls.

Also, don’t assume the bomber wreckage will be visible from the trail. If you want to see it, look up coordinates in advance; you’ll likely have to venture off trail to find it.

Amazing views from half way up the east ascent of Downs, both southeast to Downs Lake (and a horizon of high peaks) and northeast down to Turquoise and Bomber lakes. Almost better than the summit views which are more obscured by rocky shoulders.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Aug 17, 2020 9:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks! And a note about the east route

Thank you for posting this update! I am glad you had a great trip. It's a great area in the Winds.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Downs Mountain' main page