Dreilaenderspitze

Dreilaenderspitze

this is the summit sign on Dreilaenderspitze (3197m) in Silvretta mountain group. The names means "three countries' peak" because since old times here borders meet - nowerdays of the Austrian states of Tyrol and Vorarlberg and Swiss canton Grison (Graubuenden). This summit symbol shows the political fact very nicely.
Mathias Zehring
on Sep 23, 2006 10:35 pm
Image ID: 228476

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
chilkoot

chilkoot - Sep 24, 2006 12:35 am - Voted 10/10

Very cool shot!

What is the route like to get up there? Is it a well known spot with lots of visitors?

Mathias Zehring

Mathias Zehring - Sep 24, 2006 5:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Very cool shot!

Dreilaenderspitze is an often climbed mountain (but no SP page yet). The normal route is an alpine climb with a glacier that steepens up to app. 40° to gain a ridge that has to be followed to the summit with some easy climbing (at the end exposed UIAA II = 4th class). So it was when I took the picture in 1987. This July we tried to climb the mountain again. But because of melting glacier we had to enter the ridge at it's lower part, where it is much more difficult. There we had to abandon at a slab that was at least UIAA III+ (5.4), not climbable for us with plastic boots. I posted a picture of the situation this July.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2