Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.73306°N / 85.01889°W
Additional Information County: Whitfield
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1820 ft / 555 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Dug Mountain is located in northwest Georgia in the city of Dalton, roughly an hour northwest of Atlanta and half an hour south of Chattanooga on I-75. One of the battles of the American Civil War (or as some southerner's call it, the "War of Northern Aggression") was fought on this mountain (see below) and remnants of the entrenchments the Confederate troops built to defend their position remain on the mountain to this day.

There is one trail that leads up the mountain, and that is the Pinhoti Trail. The trail starts in Alabama, continues through Georgia, and proceeds into Tennessee. The Georgia section of the trail was only recently completed.

The quickest route to the top is to park at Dug Gap, and proceed northeast from the parking lot. The trail proceeds up the ridge of Dug Mountain, and the remains of the wall will follow along the ridge on your left hand side.

Sadly, while there is a good lookout point on the summit (less than one mile from the trailhead at Dug Gap with roughly 200 feet of elevation gain), there are three large power line towers located there, and the views into the valley on either side show urban development encroaching on both sides. Still, to see the remains of the old fortification make it worth visiting this area.
Trail Head at Dug Gap
Stone Defenses of Dug Mountain

Battle of Dug Mountain

Dug Mountain was a site of two different skirmishes of the American Civil War with the major skirmish occurring in May of 1864. The Confederates had several months to prepare their defenses, and not only had they built a rock wall lining the ridge with which to defend themselves, but also had placed a number of strategically placed boulders along the route up the ridge from Dug Gap. When the Union offensive began, these boulders were released, killing many soldiers and demoralizing the rest in the process.
Historical Marker at Dug Gap
Another view of the stone wall at Dug Mountain

Getting There

Dug Mountain is located in Dalton, Georgia. The easiest way to get there is to take I-75 and get off at exit 333. Head west off of the exit. After roughly a mile, you will pass the Dalton Convention Center on your left. Roughly 0.5 miles after that, you will pass a historical marker on your left for Dug Gap. The parking lot for Dug Gap will be on your right. In case the gate is closed, there is parking available on the street.

Be wary here as cars do drive by very quickly, and turning onto the street can be a little treacherous.

Red Tape

There is no red tape as far as I know. If you are planning on being in the area after dark, make sure to park along the street, rather than in the prking lot, as the gate is closed in the early evening.

Camping

Camping is allowed along the Pinhoti Trail. I am unsure of whether there is water located near Dug Gap, especially in light of the drought that Georgia is experiencing at the moment.

External Links

Georgia Pinhoti Trail Association This group is responsible for developing and maintaining the Pinhoti trail in Georgia.

Weather forecast provided by weather.com

Dug Gap Battle Park Tourist Information: 706-278-0217