Eagle Creek Comments

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - Nov 21, 2008 6:21 am - Hasn't voted

NIGHTMARE

This bushwhack is a true nightmare, especially if you're carrying a haul bag. Be careful when you're traversing the thick mats of organic material above the creek. I had an experience where my weight caused the mat to peel off the granite slab and avalanche over the cliff. Luckily I landed on a ledge 10 feet down and didn't fall all the way to the bottom of the cliff.

bfalck1 - Aug 29, 2010 2:33 am - Hasn't voted

Difficult route finding

This is no day hike for a novice. It took us four hours before we finally decided to turn back rather than going to the top. Our main problem was trying to follow the creek bed. We made it past Split Pinnacle fairly easily. However above that are several water falls which required us to go up the steep hillside on the right of the creek. After that, we some how started up the second creek on the left and realized we were not where we thought we should be.
I'd suggest carrying an altimiter to determine your progress and map and compass; knowing how to use both.
Also, don't try hiking this alone. There are too many places to get into trouble. Definately stay off steep exposed rock and hike in clear weather to avoid slippy rock and mud on the hill sides. Carry bug repellent. There were swarms of flying bugs around our heads. We hiked in the later part of August, 2010.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Eagle Creek' main page