Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.74577°N / 119.61501°W
Additional Information Elevation: 7779 ft / 2371 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Eagle peak is situated between Yosemite falls and El Capitan, is not a spectacular peak compare with all beauty you see in the Yosemite valley, but if you are in the zone and have some free time you can spend some time and visit this peak. Eagle peak offer you a view compare with the Glacier Point but of the south face of the valley. Yosemite is one of the world's greatest climbing areas, is not just a climber's playground, however- Its walls and crags are an integral part of a larger ecosystem, protected as wilderness, that was set aside for people to enjoy in a natural state.

Getting There


Yosemite Valley approach . You can reach Yosemite Valley via CA SR-120, CA SR-140, and CA SR-41 which enter the park at the Big Oak Flat, Arch Rock (aka El Portal), and Wawona (aka South) Entrances to the park.

You have 2 option to reach the Eagle peak: from the camp 4 and from the Cascade Creek

From Camp 4 the trail takes several hours and it's easy route class 2, distance is 6.5 miles. The rout is same with those of the Yosemite falls this is the hardest part of the route when you climb about 3k feet's in height, after you reach Yosemite falls you need to take to the El Capitan trail, you pass the Eagle peak meadows and in 2.5 miles you reach the Eagle peak.

From Cascade Creek it's going to take about same time and it's same easy rout class 2 but the distance is a little longer 7.7 miles, From the Cascade Creek you take the El Capitan trail, after 5.7 miles you reach the El Capitan you need to pass and to go for more 2 miles, after this you will reach Eagle peak. approach

Red Tape


Entrance fee:
$20 per vehicle, good for seven days.

Black bear restrictions:
If you drive a private car into the park, you must adhere to strict regulations on the storage of food, because black bears in the park have grown accustomed to "liberating" stored food from vehicles, at any time of the day or night. If a bear breaks into your car to steal food (even candy-bar wrappers constitute "food"), you are liable for $500 or more in fines.

Overnight road closure:
Although the official Tioga Road winter closure (between Crane Flat and Tioga Pass) is in effect only between mid-November and late-May, the park service prohibits overnight parking anywhere on Tioga Road after October 15. The area is open to dayhiking until the official road closure, but I guess the park service fears that a storm can unexpectedly close the road at any time, and leave you and your car stranded!

If you plan on crossing Tioga Road in late fall (before it closes) or in late spring (after it opens), carry tire chains in your vehicle.

When To Climb


Summer time has the best weather (though most people) for hiking. Rock climbers will find the spring and autumn weather more agreable, but because it's a easy route the winter not going to be a problem.

Camping


There are numerous places to camp in the park, however, during peak periods, you may not want to if you are seeking solitude. The valley can fill up with so many cars, RVs, and tents.
Of the many campgrounds in Yosemite Valley, the cheapest one is Camp 4 (aka Sunnyside or climber's camp), a walk-in campground which is open year-round. There's no reservations here and everything is first-come, first-served basis so grab a spot early as they tend to go fast. Along the JMT, the Little Yosemite Campground is also popular.

Mountain Conditions


The weather in Yosemite Valley during the summer months is usually fantastic. Sunny, warm, and not too humid. However, watch out for frequent afternoon thunderstorms during these months! In order to avoid an epic of being stuck in the middle of the climb when its raining, start early or climb fast.
For an up-to-date weather forecast in Yosemite NP, please visit the link below.
Wetter in Yosemite

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-6 of 6

yocal420 - Nov 22, 2005 7:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

You actually turn left twice. The first continues on along Yo creek to 120 but again turn left towards el cap. Can't remember what the signs say, but el cap is a good bet.

cgrisha

cgrisha - Nov 22, 2005 8:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

10x for correcting me, I vas there but by mistake a write half dome, I correct the mistake

yocal420 - Nov 22, 2005 7:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I think you mean the trail to el cap not half dome its the trail that heads west from the top of the falls. If you haven't been there walk a half mile east first to the point above the lost arrow. It's uphill, but well worth the effort awsome views of falls and valley. Go in spring on a weekday for best results.....

yocal420 - Nov 22, 2005 7:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

You actually turn left twice. The first continues on along Yo creek to 120 but again turn left towards el cap. Can't remember what the signs say, but el cap is a good bet.

cgrisha

cgrisha - Nov 22, 2005 8:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

10x for correcting me, I vas there but by mistake a write half dome, I correct the mistake

rangermatt

rangermatt - May 5, 2006 9:40 pm - Hasn't voted

picture

There's a picture in the album taken from Glacier Point of Yosemite Falls - Eagle Peak isn't even in the image. Should that be removed?

Viewing: 1-6 of 6