Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.11510°N / 78.4581°W
Additional Information County: Frederick
Additional Information Elevation: 2610 ft / 796 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Great North Mountain is located on the border between Virginia and West Virginia. In the northernmost section of Great North Mountain is Eagle Rock, which is about one mile north of Dry Gap. Although there are no views from the summit of Eagle Rock, the trail passes by an overlook with spectacular views of the nearby mountain ranges. It's well worth the short and easy hike.

Getting There

From Front Royal, go west on I-66 until reaching its end at I-81. Go south on I-81 to Exit 296, where you take Route 55 west. Continue until reaching Capon Springs Grade, which is also SR-609, and turn right here. Follow Capon Springs Grade for about a mile until the green sign denoting the county and state border. Park in a small lot on the left.



Route

Cross the road and start hiking on the blue-blazed Tuscarora Trail. At a fork in the trail, bear right. Continue for a total of 0.9 miles until reaching the overlook. Views to the left include Little North Mountain, and beyond that, Massanutten Mountain, and beyond that, the Blue Ridge Mountains. Directly in front of you is Johnnies Knob. Looking further towards the right,you see some of the other peaks on Great North Mountain, including Mill Mountain, Sugar Knob, and Point 2810. Furthest to the right are ridges in West Virginia.

After taking in the views, continue for another 0.2 miles or so to the summit.

Round trip: 2.2 miles with an elevation gain of 500 feet.

Little North and Blue Ridge Mountains
Little North and Blue Ridge Mountains
Looking East from Eagle Knob
Looking East from Eagle Rock
Looking Southeast from Eagle Knob
Looking Southeast from Eagle Rock

Johnnies Knob from Eagle Rock
Johnnies Knob from Eagle Rock

Great North Mountain Peaks
Great North Mountain Peaks
West Virginia Ridges from Eagle Rock
West Virginia Ridges from Eagle Rock


Red Tape

Eagle Rock and the route to its summit are on private property. Please stay on the trail.


When to Climb

Eagle Rock can be climbed nearly all year round. The hike can be particularly delightful from mid-October through mid-November because of the autumn colors. July and August are the worst months for heat, humidity, haze that limits views, and hostile little critters like ticks, yellowjackets, and mosquitoes.

Tuscarora Trail in Winter
Tuscarora Trail in Winter

Camping

Camping is not permitted on Eagle Rock and the route to its summit.

External Links

The Potomac Appalachian Trail Club maintains the trails on Great North Mountain, and provides maps, guidebooks, and other information.