Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.84716°N / 122.74818°W
Additional Information County: Lane
Additional Information Elevation: 3024 ft / 922 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Willamette Valley
Rock ridge/south face/Eagles Rest
Mt June
Calapooya Divide

Eagles Rest is a forested peak located in the Middle Fork Ranger District of the Willamette National Forest. Eagles Rest rises above the lost creek valley outside of the hamlet of Dexter, Oregon. It resides on the western perimeter of the Hardesty/ Mt June roadless area.

Eagles Rest was at a time a place where the local indiginous people would seek a vision quest. The tucked away valleys and open oak savanah of the area was home to a local band of Calapooya indians. When Lookout Point Resevoir is emptied or real low it is still possible to dig up obsidian arrowheads and other implements.

In the 1950's and 60's the peak was once a location of a forest fire lookout. There is no sign of the lookout now. During the same period the forest service had constructed shelters for backcountry hunters. One such shelter remains along the Eagles Rest trail and is named Ash Swale for the watery flat that is was constructed next to.

The main attraction of this area is the intact old growth forest within the roadless area. The first three miles of the original trail meanders through the old growth forest. This lower section of the trail is now known as the Goodman Creek Trail. There are roughly 25 miles of trails that wander through the roadless area accessing the peak tops and ridges as well as the lower elevation along the creek bottoms.

The area is extremely popular with mountain bike enthusiasts and ultra marathon runners. it all seems to work harmoniously, though I would warn that lower trails may be a bit rutted and soggy during the winter season.

Last but not least the animal population is alive and well with Black bear, Cougar, Black tail deer, Beaver, Martins and Raccoons. There are birds of prey as well as game birds. The flora of the erea is rich as well with Douglas fir dominant, Western Hemlock, assorted pines. Decidicous trees such as Madrone, Vine maple, Dogwood and Alder. And undergrowth such as Salal, Oregon Grape, Sword Fern and Beargrass. Lichens, Moss and Fungi abound. It is an amazingly healthy ecosysytem located only 20 miles east of Oregons second largest metro area Eugene/Springfield.

Getting There

Coming from the north or south on the Interstate-5 corridor take exit 188 State Hwy 58 heading east. Travel along hwy 58 for 20.7 miles keeping an eye out for Goodman creek road.

To access the lower trailhead continue past Goodman creek road two tenths of a mile looking for a large turn out on the right. The trail begins as the Hardesty Mountain trail, two tenths of mile later the Goodman creek trail takes off right (south). The Goodman creek trail travels along the shore of the resevoir then follows the creek for approximatly three miles then exits out to Goodman Creek road 5833

Eagles Rest trail proper is accessed by traveling 3 miles south on Goodman Creek road 5833, looking for F.S road 490 on the right. At this point there is an immediate area to park at the entrance to road 490. The Goodman Creek trail exits the forest and crosses road 5833 and picks back up as the Eagles Rest trail on west side of pullout.

Red Tape

Having a northwest forest pass here is required to park at the trailheads. There is no special use or entry permits required for this area.
It is a good idea to check in with theWillamette national forest about conditions and recreation updates.

It's also a good idea to let somebody know were your going. that way if you have real problems the county could organize a rescue if needed.

Camping

There is multiple camping options available, though this really is a day use area.

There is a lot of other roadless and recreation destinations in this area and using a local campground could give you a great base to operate from.

External Links

Add External Links text here.