East Dead horse Peak

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.74018°N / 110.6568°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview text here.

East Dead Horse peak is perhaps one of the most remote and least visited peaks in the Uinta Range. Not only is it located on the central spine in the heart of the Uintas. It also lies far away from any trail  or established route. The peak is best viewed from the west fork of the blacks and the bottom of red Knob Pass. The top can be described as most uinta peaks, "a big pile of boulders". However it is pearched on the high center ridge of the uintas and right on the edge of a massive cliff. Making the view more than average.

*Note* This peak is not visible from the top of Red Knob pass, it is blocked by the unoffically named Medow Peak. A special thanks to ZeeJay for helping clarify this.

Getting There

West fork of the blacks fork trail head

From the  light in Kamas and the intersection of Route 248 and 32, head north 0.1 to SR 150 (Mirror Lake Highway). Turn Right onto SR 150 and follow for 49 miles to FR 058 aka "North Slope Road", turn right onto FR 058 (gravel road) and follow for 16 miles to the 4-way intersection with the West Fork Blacks Fork Road turning south. Turn right and follow the rough dirt road to where it crosses the river. It is highly recommended you park here Adding a mile or so one way, no matter what type of vehicle you own, however our Chevy Silverado forded the creek just fine, and it really depends on the river flow and time of the year.  4WD is a must though, because it's very graveley. 

 

Route

Highline Trail/ Dead Horse pass route

I will really foucus on this route primarily becuse it makes the most logical sense from almost all starting pionts. The shortest way to hike this peak is from either West fork of the blacks or from rock creek however all of these routes meet at dead horse pass and therby take the same route to the summit. From dead horse pass continue along the ridge. The trail follows the ridge for a time before dropping into the rock creek side. Shortly after the trail drops the ridge becomes more rugged and steep. And begins to rise to a small summit. we chose to by pass the small summit and traverse around it saving elevation. On the other side of the small summit there is a large chute that Drops into West fork of the blacks, this chute has snow late into the season and would be a knarley back country route if it wasn't so far in. From here its a short but time consuming bolder hop to the top. From the top you can continue south along the ridge to crater lake, yard peak, or explorer peak.

Red Tape

East Dead Horse peak is located in the High Uintas wilderness 

When to Climb

Late summer is for sure the best time, Deah horse pass is known to have snow into mid July some years. Early mornings are also best to aviod Late afternoon thunderstorms. This ridge is 100% exposed.

Camping

Dead horse lake in the West fork of the blacks is for sure the best and closest camping. Also a very popular spot for through Hikers It can be buisy on weekends and holidays so plan for that. Ledge lake in the rock creek drainage would also make an ideal spot. The lake is small but wooded and features a waterfall.

External Links

Add External Links text here.