East side Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
selinunte01

selinunte01 - Jan 3, 2009 11:28 am - Hasn't voted

Partly new trail - east slope

Due to construction works for avalanche protection on the east summit of Hohe Munde and its southeastern slopes parts of the east slope trail has been transfered.

A new trail bypasses the first rock chute to the south. It regains the old trail above this chute.

At about 1900 m altitude the old trail is blocked. A new one was installed further north (see and follow the signs). It avoids the uppermost eastsoutheast slope due to possible rockfall from the construction site. The new trail traverses north to the northeast slope of Hohe Munde and then zigzags up this part of the slope. It reaches the old trail at about 2400 m altitude. The old trail leads to the east summit.

Actually the east summit is more than a mess due to the construction site. Iron frameworks, avalanche nets, some helicopter platforms, a huge building for the workers and several power engines litter the summit. Though those works are undoubtedly necessary (see http://hilfe.lebensministerium.at/article/articleview/60753/1/14426/ for further infromation), the east slope ascent is no more fun. Good hikers should choose the west ridge via ferrata for climbing Hohe Munde.

Lukas Kunze

Lukas Kunze - Jan 3, 2009 3:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Partly new trail - east slope

Interresting reading. I looked at some photos of Hohe Munde I took this year and I could see the avalanche fences and the building. Have to go up there to have a closer look. One beautiful mountain lost... :(

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'East side' main page