Eastern High Atlas

Eastern High Atlas

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 32.31810°N / 5.21374°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12293 ft / 3747 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Eastern High Atlas are a vast, elevated and mountainous plateau extending from Imilchil to Midelt and disappear into the Sahara as they continue northeast. Jebel Ayachi, at 3747 meters, is the highest peak in the range. Like Ayachi, most of the mountains tend to run from the southwest to the north east in long high ridgelines. Jebel Ayachi has 24 KM of ridgeline than never drops lower than 3000 meters and Jebel Maasker (3265 m) has 13 KM of ridgeline above 3000 meters. These are massive mountains and quite remote from any city. To the south, in the Imiter Gorges there is some excellent sandstone multipitch sport climbing.

Getting There

Midelt (to climb Ayachi or other northern peaks)

Take N8 south from Fes to Azrou. From there take N13 southeast to Midelt.
You can get a bus from the CTM station. 
You can aslo get a Grand Taxi from next to the CTM station in Fes. You can either pay for one place and wait for the taxi to fill up, or you can pay for the whole taxi and leave immediately.

Imilchil (to hike or climb the southern peaks and visit Lac d'Isli)
Take N8 north from Marrakech through BeniMellal and Kasbah Tadla
About 22.5 km north of Kasbah Tadla turn right onto R317 for 117 km of the roughest paved road (at least it used to be paved) winding up into the heart of the High Atlas to Imilchil.
You may not be able to get a Grand Taxi from BeniMellal or Kasbah Tadla to Imilchil. If they are not available it would be a great adventure to ride the infrequent Mercedes 207 vans that transport people between rural markets. This would be very time consuming.

Amellagou (for multi-pitch sport climbing - Imiter Groges)
Use public transportation or fly or self drive to Errichidia which is the regional capital.
From there take N10 southeast to Goulmima.
Then take P7101 north to Amellagou.
It is highly unlikely to get a Grand Taxi from Goulmima to Amellagou. Your best chance for public transportation would be an adventerous ride in the infrequent Mercedes 207 vans that transport people between rural markets. This would be very time consuming.

Red Tape

Though there are no formal restrictions. You are in very remote and wild country. The authorities will probably have questions about your itinerary and may try to discourage your plans. If you are intending to overnight anywhere it is advisable to notify the Gendarmerie or the Muqadam (community representative). The Eastern High Atlas Mountains comprise a large area and there are various national parks and reserves. There are no fees for accessing any of the parks or reserves.

External Links

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Atlas#Eastern_High_Atlas

https://www.persee.fr/doc/remmm_0035-1474_1984_num_38_1_2049 - Contribution à l'histoire du Haut-Atlas Oriental : les Ayt Yafelman Author: Michae Peyron 1984

Camping

Add Camping text here.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.