Viewing: 1-6 of 6
markhallam

markhallam - Jan 2, 2014 5:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Congratulations...

...on an epic climb - and then an engaging Trip Report. It brought back memories of 5 years ago, when I made my attempt. I seem to recall solving the water problem by carrying a vast quantity of bottled water - but I didn't have as long a day as you, having chickened out when I found myself teetering on the edge of the North Face above point 3660m. Like you I had a few slips on that awful slidey terrain - and actually tore a knee cartilage, though didn't realise at the time - but 2 years later had to have surgery.
Welcome to Summit Post by the way. I see you are fairly new. A couple of suggestions: See if you can attach all your photos - then they'll come up as linked to your excellent piece and form an album at the bottom. Still speaking of photos - you have used one of mine at the start (entitled 'Intended Route) - no problem, it goes well there - but it'd be nice to be acknowledged as having taken the photo - as you did with the photo by OM later on (which I'd also used).
Finally - I've taken the liberty of attaching your TR to my Eiger West Flank route page, as you will see - and how about signing the 'Climbers Log' for both the route page and the Eiger mountain page? Oh - while you are at it, you should attach your TR to the Eiger mountain page as well (page by Fred Spiker and Moni)- look for 'editor options' at the top of your page.
Best wishes for your plans in 2014!
Mark

Jordanj

Jordanj - Jan 2, 2014 5:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congratulations...

Thank you for the kind comments Mark and some good advice which I'll endeavour to correct!
I apologise regards your photo as I was unsure whether it was yours or OM's. This I have now edited...Thanks!
The route around the false summit at about 3820m was impassable on my summit bid due to a large cornice. This meant climbing straight through which I managed thankfully due to a new bolt in place. And yes!.. the rock and ice is awful and very enduring on the body!
You will see I have attached a link in my TR to your piece which was so invaluable. I hope you didn't mind?
Wishing you well for 2014 and hope you get another crack at the WF again someday.

Best Regards Jasen

markhallam

markhallam - Jan 4, 2014 2:33 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Congratulations...

Hello again Jasen!
No of course I don't mind - I'm flattered that you thought that highly of my page. Being able to link things is one of SP's great assets. So I have taken the liberty of doing the same to you! If you have a look at the 'Overview' again... Also I have linked your piece to the Eiger Rotstock page I wrote - you did after all climb that great little peak (so I cordially invite you to sign the log of that, as well as the West Flank climbers log!).

Yes - dammit - I probably will have to go back to the West Flank and finish the job some day - but it'd better be fairly soon since I'm getting a bit old for this kind of route - at least, for tackling it solo - and I'd probably have to wear a blindfold for the bit on the edge of the Nordwand at Pt 3668m ;)

I shall look forward to seeing what you get up to in future - hope you'll keep posting on SP.

Best wishes, Mark

Kevintheclimber

Kevintheclimber - Jan 3, 2014 4:00 pm - Voted 10/10

epic

and to do it solo??? kudos. Do you have videos of your climb? I'm curious.

Jordanj

Jordanj - Jan 3, 2014 6:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: epic

No videos I'm afraid Kevin.. Strange you should ask?
I have a keen interest in videography and it is my main goal & project this year to capture a solo ascent on the Eiger. Either myself but preferably shadow somebody else!
Thanks for the Kudos friend!

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Jan 6, 2014 6:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Thirsty!

Great climb and report, I got scared and thirsty just reading it!
Vic

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Eiger Westflank' main page