El Montañon Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
tarol

tarol - May 7, 2011 5:53 am - Voted 10/10

new websites

Channel Islands NP website is now: http://www.nps.gov/chis

Campground reservations: http://www.recreation.gov

Jeff M

Jeff M - May 12, 2011 6:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks

The page is updated now.

casafede - Mar 5, 2017 7:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Plane crash in Santa Cruz Island

Several years ago, while on sabbatical, I went to the Santa Barbara Public Library and sorted through yards and yards of microfiche, looking for information on that Santa Cruz Island crash during World War 2. I found these three articles:

Marine Pilot Crashes in Santa Cruz Island

Santa Barbara News-Press, March 5th, 1949 - The body of Capt. Jess Thierry Jr., Marine Corps pilot missing since Wednesday, was discovered last night on a rugged 1900-foot mountain peak toward the wetern end of Santa Cruz Island, authorities at el Toro Marine Base said today.

'While the navy plane which discovered the body and the wrecked plane yesterday circled overhead to mark the spot today, 10 Marines, aided by Naval personnel, were traveling across the trackless, rugged land in an attempt to recover the remains.

After the discovery yesterday, Marine Capt. Theodore J. Horner flew over the area in a Navy helicopter to determine whether or not the pilot was still alive. Bad weather prevented a landing at the time.

The body was seen beside a partly opened parachute. Authorities said it appeared that the parachute opened as a result of the shock when the Marine's body struck the ground. Capt. Thierry's wrecked plane was spotted nearby. Identification was made through serial numbers on the wreckage, according to Maj. Frank Smith, El Toro public relations officer.

Capt. Thierry was from Huntington, West Virginia. His fighter plane was one of three which disappeared in a storm Wednesday.


Searchers on Way to Marine Pilot's Body on Santa Cruz Island

Santa Barbara News-Press, March 6th, 1949 -

A rescue party of 10 Marines and Navymen late last night were reported still scaling the rugged 1900-foot mountain peak on the northwestern end of Santa Cruz Island to recover the body of Capt. Jess Thierry Jr.

The body of Thierry, 27-year old Marine flier, was sighted on the peak by a Navy plane Friday beside his wrecked fighter plane. The rescue party started up the rugged, trackless peak at dawn yesterday. A Navy plane circled over the spot to guide them to it.

A Navy doctor flew in on the peak by helicopter but was unable to make positive identification on the body because of its badly burned condition. The rescue party was taken to the island by a PT boat from Point Mugu.


Memorial Rites Held for Flier Who Lost Life on Santa Cruz Island

Santa Barbara News-Press, March 7th, 1949 -

Memorial services were held today for Capt. Jess Thierry Jr., 27, Huntington, W. Va., a Marine Corps fighter pilot who lost his life last week when his plane crashed on a brush-covered 1900-foot mountain peak at the western end of Santa Cruz Island.

The report was that the terrain was so rugged a landing crew used machetes to cut their way to the wreckage and the body of the flier. After crashing, the fighter plane had burned and there will be no firther salvage operations.

The body of the pilot was carried down the mountain slope and taken aboard a P-T boat from port Hueneme. The remains first went to Port Hueneme for positive identification and then to Long Beach Naval Hospital mortuary.

After the memorial rites today the remains will be accompanied east to Arlington National Cemetery by the flier's widow, Mrs. Dale Thierry.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'El Montañon' main page