Viewing: 1-20 of 31 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

JonBradfordUntitled Comment

JonBradford

Thanks for another addition to the Boulder Mountain Parks section. I was disturbed by your analysis of the "Master Plan" and I tried to read through it to get some inklin on Boulder's intentions... But alas I couldn't wade through the mass of verbage far enough to draw any conclusions (other then that the government authors of such studies couldn't explain their way out of a paper bag). If the summits become forbidden it would be a shame. Cheers.

Jon
Posted Mar 13, 2005 3:02 pm

ChrisUntitled Comment

Chris

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the vote! I do agree, it would be a shame to see large tracts of the OSMP lands closed to all entry. I don't think actions such as this are necessary, as we didn't see *any* evidence of human contact on our climb yesterday.

The City Council made recommendations to the visitor plan that would have made it more agreeable to the entire population of Boulder, but the Open Space Board threw out all of their recommendations and reverted back to the the original, more restrictive, plan. I feel as if the board isn't acting in the interest of the majority of Boulder's population. It makes me sad that I voted to continue OSMP funding through my sales taxes... if I had to do over, I would have voted against it until the visitor plan was finalized.

Thanks!

- Chris
Posted Mar 13, 2005 3:15 pm

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

I spent one day trying to figure out how to reach the summit, and just couldn't find the trail. I wish this site was up when I tried to climb it, because I could have added this to my summit list!

Posted Mar 13, 2005 3:13 pm

ChrisUntitled Comment

Chris

Thanks, added the (-), to the longitude.

Cheers,

- Chris

Posted Mar 13, 2005 3:18 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

It seems that Boulder sure does like to close access to mountain areas, so I wouln't be surprised if they decide to close this one. It seems a shame.

First, Colorado's biggest glacier (Arapahoe) and then this one.
Posted Mar 13, 2005 4:53 pm

Brad SniderUntitled Comment

Brad Snider

Very informative page; good information.
Posted Mar 13, 2005 6:37 pm

ChrisUntitled Comment

Chris

Thanks Brad!

- Chris
Posted Mar 13, 2005 10:17 pm

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Great work! Very interesting things going on there. have a good one!

-Britt
Posted Mar 13, 2005 8:53 pm

ChrisUntitled Comment

Chris

Thanks Britt, have a good day!

- Chris
Posted Mar 13, 2005 10:16 pm

wildstarUntitled Comment

wildstar

Nice looking page.
Posted Mar 13, 2005 9:46 pm

ChrisUntitled Comment

Chris

Thanks wildstar!

- Chris
Posted Mar 13, 2005 10:19 pm

CharlesDUntitled Comment

CharlesD

Chris,

Great page, and thanks for bringing this to our attention. I've perused the VMP and started a thread on the Rockies Forum (which is probably a better place to do it than here). Sounds like some suits have decided we need more beaurocracy!

That aside, I've always wondered about Eldorado Mountain. My first hike in Boulder was the Rattlesnake Gultch trail from Eldo. I see all those peaks south of Boulder on my way down to I-70 and always wondered what was going on there.

I don't currently have Eldorado included in the Boulder Group page. My inclination was that it was the northernmost of the peaks south of Boulder. Given that it's in the OSMP, I could easily be convinced that it belongs in the Boulder Group, if maybe not the Boulder Range.

Thoughts?

Charles

(PS: I take it you and Peter bailed on Pawnee yesterday?)
Posted Mar 13, 2005 10:34 pm

ChrisUntitled Comment

Chris

Hey Charles,

Thanks for the comments. I agree with your assessment of the OSMP board :-)

I think it probably belongs with the Boulder Group, at least geologically, since Mickey Mouse wall and other rock formations are of the same Fountain and Eldorado Sandstone as the formations found on Bear Peak, Green Mountain, etc. I actually looked for that group in the list, but didn't see it?

And yeah, we bailed on Pawnee... it looked like it was going to be a WINDY day up there! Decided to stay down where it was warm and sunny :-) We'll all have to hook up sometime for a trip!

Thanks!

- Chris
Posted Mar 13, 2005 10:41 pm

CharlesDUntitled Comment

CharlesD

The Boulder Group should appear in the Front Range group, but here is the link. I've modified the text a bit to include Flagstaff and Eldorado, as well as mention the proposed heinousness.

Good call on ditching Pawnee. We were hiking around up in the open space on Saturday and it was windy enough down here. We should definitely hook up one of these days. I have great plans on doing some snow climbing in Glacier Gorge in a month or so. Might you be interested?
Posted Mar 14, 2005 11:22 am

CharlesDUntitled Comment

CharlesD

I've also requested a Boulder Range (CO) group on the site feedback forum. We've got 8 pages now of Boulder peaks, definitely time for it's own related mountains category.
Posted Mar 14, 2005 11:23 am

RyanSUntitled Comment

RyanS

Some of the other peaks you've seen along SH-93 -- Crescent Mountain, Coal Creek Peak, Blue Mountain --are all on private land. Another major summit, Ralston Buttes (the furthest peak south to have Flatirons-type sandstone), is on Jefferson County Open Space, but it's located in a 'sensitive area', the definition of which seems identical to the proposed 'habitat conservation areas' in the Boulder Open Space plan. Access to Ralston, a splendid summit that I really enjoyed, is always prohibited even though it's on public lands.
Posted Mar 14, 2005 12:08 pm

tloganUntitled Comment

tlogan

Nice page.
Posted Mar 14, 2005 1:51 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Good information.
Posted Mar 14, 2005 8:58 am

RyanSUntitled Comment

RyanS

I had better bag this peak while I still can! Nice submission
Posted Mar 14, 2005 12:03 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Good page Chris! It always amazes me how much red tape there is in the US! No such thing as mountain clusures anywhere in the Alps (maybe because of avalanche or mudslide danger). Aren't we Europeans supposed to be the left-leaning tree (and mountain) huggers? Given the amount of nature available in the US and the population density all over Europe it is even more astonishing!

Go up there while you can!
Posted Mar 14, 2005 2:54 pm