Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 2585 ft / 788 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Pennsylvania's ENDLESS MOUNTAINS

Snow over the mountains

This range of mountains includes most of North Central Pennsylvania and is comprised of large, high elevation plateaus that have been eroded by streams and creeks to create the long chains of ridges in the region. The highest mountain in this range is North Mountain reaching a maximum height of 2,585ft. Most of the summits in this range are gentle on one slope and extremely steep on the other. There are a handful of mountains in the range that are symmetrical peaks, the most noted being Smiths Knob.

This region has tonnes of recreational activity to offer in terms of hiking, biking, and rafting. The most famous trail through the region is the Loyalsock Trail. The Loyalsock Trail is one of the most scenic footpaths in the state of Pennsylvania running for 59.3 miles from just north of Montoursville to Ringdale, PA all the while following the Loyalsock Creek and Canyon. This famous trail also heads through Worlds End State Park with its famous canyon vistas, most popular to tourists in the entire Endless Mountains Region.

The Trail is named for the Loyalsock Creek which it follows coming from the indian words, "Lawi - Saquick", which means middle creek. The Loyalsock Creek empties into the Susquehanna River on the east side of Williamsport, about 10 miles southwest of the start of the trail. The trail was started as two trails created by earlier settlers to traverse the rugged mountains and canyons of the region. Becoming accustomed to heavy foot traffic, the trails have been in use ever since.

The most popular recreation and trail maintenance group in the are is the Alpine Club of Williamsport. They maintain many of the trails in the region. For more information on this group, click on the link below!
Alpine Club of Williamsport

Weather

For current and up to the minute weather, click on the link below!


Williamsport Area Weather

Camping

Camping is permitted in certain areas but check below for the guidelines.

PA State Forest Guidelines:
Primitive campers spending no more than 1 night at a campsite do not need a Camping Permit. However, a Camping Permit is required if:

- you desire an emergency point-of-contact;
- you stay at a campsite more than one night;
- a campfire is desired during spring or fall fire seasons;
- you camp using a vehicle for storage or transportation;
- you are “group camping”; or,
- you camp within the Pine Creek Gorge / Canyon in Tiadaghton or Tioga State Forests.

Group Camping is defined as more than 10 people in a unit, overnight motorized or primitive camping. A Letter of Authorization must first be obtained from the District Forester. A Camping Permit and Letter of Authorization are issued to the group.

For an online Camping Application click on the link below:
STATE FOREST CAMPING APPLICATION

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.