Engle Lake Scramble

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.00900°N / 115.618°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a scramble from Engle Lake to Engle Peak. It is beneficial because you don't have to back track along the trail to Engle Lake from where it forks from the trail that heads to the summit.

Getting There

The trail to Engle Peak has a confusing fork in it. The left turn takes you to Engle Lake and the right turn takes you straight to the peak. After taking the left fork to Engle Lake go to the end of the lake closest to Engle Peak. The climb begins in a notch in the middle of a granite protrusion between two boulder fields. The notch extends down to the same level as the water.

Route Description

After finding the notch begin up the first "ramp" section, climb up staying close to the vertical wall on your right. There will be several cliffs to climb over ranging from 5-10 feet. Pay attention and don't fall. Belaying or other protection is not necessary but advised. If possible have a spotter below you. Stay to the right as much as possible to avoid exposure to your left hand side.
Once you exit the nothced area you will enter a 2nd bouler field. Look in the same direction you have been climbing and there will be two distinct cliffs in front of you. Go between them.
When you have cleared the base of the upper cliff go up and to the right. There will be another boulder field with grass patches in it. Stay on the rocks so you don't trample the vegetation. Also spread out your group horizonally to avoid disloding rocks on eachother. About 300' vertical above you there will be a formidable cliff band. Go the left of the cliffs until you reach the ridge. Take a right after reaching the ridge and it is a short hop skip and a jump to the summit.

Essential Gear

Hiking gear is okay but a helmet would be nice. A shoulder belay would also increase safety.

External Links

Add External Links text here.Do not attempt if not comfortable with class 3 terrain.