Estes Cone Comments

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
mpbro

mpbro - Mar 15, 2002 8:20 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Another great page! Glad to see a new member adding quality pages.



-Morgan

big_g

big_g - Nov 2, 2003 3:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good job. Really though you should probably add a route with the data you have in the overview.



Thanks, I found this page helpful when I took my cousin out there.



--G

Bodhi

Bodhi - Apr 26, 2004 10:17 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Right on - thanks for the comments.



B

miztflip

miztflip - Apr 11, 2004 9:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Glad to see this one on SP.



Only suggestions is to add a signature photo to spice it up.

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Jun 22, 2004 11:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Wonderful page! Beautiful mountain probably just because it was my first peak in the rockies. The views are spectacular! Great job and good climbing to you!

Bodhi

Bodhi - Jun 28, 2004 10:41 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the kind words. Bodhi

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Oct 5, 2004 2:01 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

This is the only peak in Colorado I've gotten to climb with my dad. Appreciate the informative page; good work!

tlogan

tlogan - Dec 16, 2004 8:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Looks real good.

gbrady

gbrady - Dec 7, 2008 7:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Good work!

Nice to see this page. Brings back memories of when I climbed it 29 years ago.

redsplashman23

redsplashman23 - Sep 7, 2011 11:38 am - Voted 10/10

What Happened?

What happened to the information on this page???

Kiefer

Kiefer - Sep 13, 2011 5:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: What Happened?

Still working on it.

Kruck

Kruck - Oct 8, 2011 11:52 am - Voted 10/10

Wow.

Nice revamp. Info and pics are stellar.

A few comments:
Don't forget you can hike the cone from the other side of the massif, from I think Storm Pass TH on the Bear Lake Road side. Now, this is a much farther and steeper hike, but it's good nonetheless and absolutely free of people. Nobody uses the Storm Pass TH these days.

Also, skiing the cone is possible on deep days. The southern exposure of the lower trail makes it only a go after big dumps, and the upper mountain can be blown clear just like Mt. Lady W and the rest of the neighbors. However, it is possible if you pick your date. The composition and exposure of the upper cone also makes avalanches very, very, very rare. Never heard of one. There's usually not enough snow in the boulders to create layers. Usually not enough to ski at all.

Also in the ski realm, the fact that the upper trail begins basically at Storm Pass, it is possible and fun for 2 groups to start on skis from both sides of the pass, meet at the pass, climb the upper cone together, then swap keys and descend to each others' cars. The Storm side ascenders have a longer up and swifter, easier down. The Longs TH side ascenders have an easier up and a longer, sometimes fiercely technical (for XC skis) descent to the Bear Lake Road side. When cars are reached, meet at The Wheel for beers and car swapping.

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Estes Cone' main page