Viewing: 1-8 of 8
nartreb

nartreb - Jul 13, 2007 11:39 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great read ...

Yeah, one of those memorable hikes, the kind you wouldn't plan on repeating for all the wine and women in the world, but it makes a decent story. No worries about the Devil's Path, it'll still be there later.

TLP

TLP - Jul 13, 2007 8:44 am - Voted 10/10

I just don't know

what to make of you man. You're pretty hardcore.

nartreb

nartreb - Jul 13, 2007 11:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I just don't know

Nah, hardcore would have been finishing the loop in the storm. I think if I had stopped to rest once in a while, and maybe paid a bit more attention to food and water, I'd have had the energy to go for it. But that's what happens when you're too stupid to get an early start and don't want to stop even for a second.

bcborder

bcborder - Jul 13, 2007 1:42 pm - Voted 9/10

2 days

Great TR! I've been thinking about this loop as a dayhike too but I think I'm going to try it first with a planned overnight stop at the Garfield Ridge Campsite carrying a bivy stack and stove. If I'm feeling really strong I'll keep going. I've also done this a four day trip with a heavy pack.

royswkr - Jul 13, 2007 4:09 pm - Hasn't voted

trailhead moved

The Skookumchuck Trail used to start about a mile further W but a new trailhead was built when the notch parkway was built. In daylight you could probably find the old trail down and save a couple miles if you are walking, but you can't park at the old trailhead.

eric b

eric b - Jul 24, 2007 9:11 am - Voted 10/10

so this was it

a great read. Isn't it funny how things that involve bad planning make for great storytelling! Im just glad that the sequence of events didn't result in a serious problem (like easily could have) otherwise we wouldn't have gone to rock climb together!

thelisa

thelisa - Nov 5, 2007 4:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Great TR!

I only found this now. What a great report on a great feat, unplanned though it was. You kept it together very well, were well-prepared with gear and food, flashlight AND headlamp - well done.
I too did the (official) Loop counterclockwise, getting the long railbed walk out of the way first thing. On a hot July 4th Day it still took me 15.5 hours and I finished with only a few gulps of water and a candy bar to spare. Descending the Osseo Trail ladders in the growing darkness was a challenge.

nartreb

nartreb - Nov 8, 2007 9:55 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great TR!

Thanks! I'd originally planned not to bring my fleece - would have been very uncomfortable...

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Extending the Pemi Loop' main page