Fisherfield and Letterewe Forst

Fisherfield and Letterewe Forst

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 57.72762°N / 5.3009°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Wilderness Walk

The wilderness walk in the Letterewe and Fisherfield hills is one of the most remote walks in the United Kingdom. You may not even meet a soul for one or 2 days.

Getting There

From Inverness you can drive north towards Dingwall and then follow the road to Ullapool till you pass Garve and turn left to Gairloch. Drive all the way through Gairloch and then to Poolewe. You can park at Loch Ewe. There are also buses from Inverness to Poolewe.

Route Description

Start at a small path between the campsite and Inverewe Gardens going east. The path will take you passed Loch Kernsary and to the Kernsary. At the estate go uphill on the land rover track for a few hundred metres and then turn right into a forest. Follow the path along the Allt na Creige stream and then to higher ground for 6km. The path will then go south and into a gorge and then after crossing a river north again. In the distance you will already see a large Loch to the north. Follow the path and after 3km stay left till you get to a causeway. You can camp just on the other side.
At Carnmore take the high path going east. Follow this track to the pass with great views. Then descend steeply and follow the stream to Larachantivore, a small hunting lodge. At this point to can easily cross the river and walk towards Shenevall, which is a small bothy. The area between the 2 streams is generally very boggy.
After Shenmevall you walk north into a gorge and along a path past An Tealach. The path is improving after a few km and going downhill to Corri Hallie where the road connecting to Poolewe is.

Essential Gear

Expedition rucksack
sleeping bag
sleeping mat
midge repellent and midge hood (in summer)
tent
food for 3 days
waterproofs

External Links

Wilderness Walk