Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Rob A

Rob A - Apr 13, 2006 5:21 pm - Voted 9/10

Sounds like ..

...you had a fun time.

I had heard that the East Coast was home to the iciest slopes in the country, they assured me that there was merely "eastern hardpack".

Liars!


We eastern skiers try to lure westerners to our ice by no making it seem so bad. We do this because...no western skier ever takes us seriously and it is fun to see someone’s first encounter with eastern ice.
Later, Rob

EastKing

EastKing - Apr 13, 2006 9:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Mt. Mansfield

Mount Mansfield will always stay in my mind is a classic. Lucky for me it 45 degrees. I had my own issues (crampons going in my leg, leg cramps, and a choice rather to go up the last part of the Longs Trail or the Profanity Trail.How did your experience compare to my experience . I remember that one section where the Long's Path and the ski paths were very confusing. Your right about the white markings. You can only imagine what happened with the trail above timberline.

txmountaineer

txmountaineer - Apr 21, 2006 9:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Mt. Mansfield

Sounds, ahem, fun! There was more rime on the summit in February, but the conditions sounded very similar. Climbing up the Mounth Couloir felt very much like swimming upward through the deep snow. Good luck in WA!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'For Those That Don't Know, Vermont Can Be Cold!' main page