Viewing: 1-5 of 5
goofball

goofball - May 8, 2014 10:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Thank you !

For the trip down memory lane. That was a really good time. Gotta call bs on this though - "We swam through the long pools of the slot and emerged happy and cold." Not sure I was happy, other than to have not succumbed to hypothermia. That water was COLD ! Fantastic trip though, glad to have shared it with you and Sonja and even Woodrow.

Scott

Scott - May 9, 2014 12:09 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Thank you !

"We swam through the long pools of the slot and emerged happy and cold." Not sure I was happy, other than to have not succumbed to hypothermia.

You were happy to get out of the water though. ;) I guess I could change that part.

westanimas

westanimas - May 16, 2014 9:46 am - Voted 10/10

Access

Can you please describe the public/permit status of your initial point of access, and also what permissions/crossing permits were necessary to access the backcountry Tribal lands?

Please see:
http://navajonationparks.org/permits.htm

"SPECIAL NOTE TO ALL VISITORS AND TOURISTS
All areas on the Navajo Nation are closed to non-Navajos unless you have a valid camping, hiking or backcountry permit issued by the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department or other duly delegated tribal authority. Failure to have a permit is considered Trespassing on a Federal Indian Reservation."

Scott

Scott - May 16, 2014 10:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Access

Yes, you need a permit. The information is already on the canyon page (that kind of information typically belongs there rather than on the trip reports):

Forbidding Canyon

It's actually easy to get permits. We got ours via mail. Just go to the link that you point out and all the information is there, along with contacts.

The canyon is well worth visiting even with the red tape.

westanimas

westanimas - May 23, 2014 9:58 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Access

Thanks so much for posting the information. I ask only to provide clarity for those who visit the page. In the past there have been pages and posts that advocated going into the Navajo Mountain area without the required permissions. I'm from a nearby area and this has been a problem for many Tribes for a long time.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Forbidding Journeys' main page